(Cold Catfish)-Cincinnati Weather = Terrible

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Catfish_Rob, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    I am sick of this weather already and it just started. I am finally going to take a fishing poles out of my car for the season. However, it is supposed to be 60 this weekend - so I may fish anyway. Anyway, any winter/cold weather fishing tips you guys have for catfishing in cold weather?

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    late fall and low water conditions are pretty tough, Ohio River and Lower LMR temps have been about 51-52 degrees ( Surface)
    This time of year, the temps are not cold enough to force fish into the deep holes and the low water still has fish milling about where ever they please, so I like higher water conditions when the fish are concentrated and colder water temps to concentrate the big channels and blues into the deeper holes to be found on the river.

As far as advice goes...Id still look for major feeding lanes, ( current seems, ledges, creek mouths, large wood piles, deeper water etc.) but the action may still be a little slow, I still think the next cold weather push will see a few really nice flatheads on there final feed before winter on the Ohio River.

Id still keep the rods in the car, all winter if it were me and i had a place to hide them....

Salmonid

3. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Thank you for the advice. I may try to go out this weekend on the ohio.