cold boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tallmanrus, Jan 25, 2008.

1. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    my question is ,is my boat has been sitting up for about the last month while working on it.should anything be done to the motor since it has been out in this cold weather.i've herd of lower unit freezing up and cracking.Should i drain the lower unit first or some other type of maintanence befor taking it out.

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Anytime your motor / boat is going to be in freezing conditions you need to check the lower unit for water. It can and will freeze and crack the lower unit. I would also highly recommend you store the motor with it trimmed all the way down. If you leave it up in the air water will run in and can cause the same problem. I have seen friends of mine pay to have the motor winterized and bring the boat home and cover the boat and leave the motor up in the air and let water just run it. At least until i convinced them it could cause problems.:sad2:
    I am know to pull the fuel line and let the motor run out of fuel if I know it isn't going to be used for a while. I don't know if this is good, bad or indifferent but I have been told to do it by every mechanic i have ever asked. Storing the boat with a full tank of fuel will also help keep any moisture / condensation to a minimum. Very important in cold weather.
    Also keeping something like Stabil in the fuel is a very important step in storing you boat for any length of time. Keep an eye on your batteries if they are not maintenance free. Check the water in them often and anytime they get charged.
    I don't know if these were the types of things you want to here now or not, since they are mostly pre storage ideas.
    I keep my boats inside so I am not the best source of cold weather information for boats. Others will be along to add more info and correct me on anything I an wrong on or missed.:big_smile::wink:
    Thanks and I hope this is useful information,
    David

3. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    thanks bigdave.every little bit of info is alot of help.Here at the boc all i get is good tips and information.

4. mixrdrivr113

mixrdrivr113 New Member

State:
    Bay, Mo
    what bigdav said is bout the best advice u can get,the only thing i do different is when i now i am putting my boat away for the winter is fill the tank and put sta-bil in it and run it few mins and then put it away the reason for this is a lot of times if it sits for a a long time the with no fuel in the carb the gaskets and o rings tend ot get dry and brittle causing problems when u start running again,the fuel with sta-bil in it keeps them from dying out and it keeps the fuel fresh as well.imo

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Oh, oh, Bubbakat's gonna get you for running those carbs dry. Watch out. Something about only the upper carb gets ran dry as the carbs will not all run out of fuel at the same time. If he don't make it on the thread to tell you himself, don't run the carbs dry. Maybe you can check the posts in the outboard threads about winterizing your boat. I know I have seen his advice in at least a half dozen posts.

6. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i don't want to store my boat for any length. of time the best thing for a boat motor is running it....go fishing down south or something.. i never let mine sit long enough to worry about bad gas or puting stabil in it...during the fishing season its on the water constantly and during the winter i like to hunt a lot of islands and early spring i use it to find sheds on the islands. so go run it

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Been storing a 2 cycle for 6 months on my boat dock for the last 13 years. All I do is add the required amount of StaBil to a full tank of gas, run it for a while to be sure the StaBil has got through the carburetor's.
    Been doing the same to another 4 stroke for the last 4 years.
    Both fire up every spring with no problem. :big_smile:

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks,
    Like I said above I did not know if that was the right thing to do or not. Just doing what the local "Einstein's" have told me to do. We are very limited in our area for a quality boat sales and service.Without having to drive 1 1/2 one way and I am still wondering about that shop, because they told me to do the same thing.:crazy::eek:oooh: Sorry for passing on bad information.:sad2:
    Please Mr. Bubbakat Sir, don't be to hard on me.:smile2::big_smile:

If I promise to stop doing it can I get by easier.:smile2:
    Thanks
    David

9. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info,this reminds me i need to check a few things.LOL