Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there ever an instance where one of these sinkers is preferred? are pyramid sinkers supposed to get into muck a little better?

Premium Member
Dominic, I prefer the no-role sinker but there is nothing wrong with the other two. The no-role, of the three mentioned, is generally the only one that is a sliding sinker. Of course one could just put the line thru an eyelet or use a swivel slide. I like the no-role because I can make it sliding or I can add an eyelet to the mold and have an eye on it. So, for me, it provides the most options. As eluded to above, I own the molds for the no-role style and make my own.

tight lines

Registered
No rolls are my preferred sinker. the vast majority of my fishing is free drifting and in my minds eye the sinker will turn sideways to the current creating less drag and lift. Of course that is only speculation on my part.

Registered
Pyramid for sand, no roll for rock and hard bottom, anything for muck.

I mostly use whats called a surf sinker, it looks like a UFO and sits flat on the bottom (flatter than a no coin) and has a ridge that cuts the current so it doesnt move. Really love this sinker!

Registered
No rolls are my preferred sinker. the vast majority of my fishing is free drifting and in my minds eye the sinker will turn sideways to the current creating less drag and lift. Of course that is only speculation on my part.
Have you watched a no roll when suspended or drifting? They spin like a propeller! A keel weight would do what you want, mostly. But pencil weights are really the go-to for me whenever im dragging or suspending something.

Registered
Have you watched a no roll when suspended or drifting? They spin like a propeller! .
No, I have not watched a no roll being pulled through the water but rotation doesn't sound out of reason. It has been my observation judging from line angle they (no rolls) produce less lift then egg sinkers of the same weight at the same speed.

Registered
i have tons of pyramids from my saltwater days but my preferred is (currently) a 3 oz bank sinker

Reactions: fishingwithdom

Registered
Have you watched a no roll when suspended or drifting? They spin like a propeller! A keel weight would do what you want, mostly. But pencil weights are really the go-to for me whenever im dragging or suspending something.
hi Kevin good to see you back i always appreciate your insight

Reactions: fishingwithdom

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy cow. I'm amazed this many people replied! I thought this site didn't have as much activity as this. Thank you all for your input! It is greatly appreciated.

Premium Member
Most of us are just reminiscing about last summer or dreaming about next summer. That is what gets us thru the unpleasant months. :wink1:

Fish Sticks
If your bank fishing in muck I like the bank sinker. Anywhere from 1oz on up depending on the speed of the river. Normally I'l use 2 to 3oz bank sinkers and 5 or 6oz fishing below a dam. The 1oz I use in lakes and ponds. Of course lakes and ponds usually don't have much current so any kind will do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts