Coffeen Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Cat Man Joe, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My wife and I are thinking of hitting Coffeen Lake this weekend (maybe) and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good spot to bank fish for flatheads? I'm not real sure we'll be going but if we do a good bank spot would be helpful. Thanks!

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep you will want to try and stay along the spillway and the hot water ditch. But it may be way to muddy also for there, so if that is the case then around to the boat ramp area is all nice rock and very clean, good places just 20 yards from parking! I'll dig up a map and send it to ya,you can down load it and print off what you need. ....:wink:

Also, not sure on the weather but give me a call if you head down there, I know the next few days we are going to be moving the camper over and getting it finished up, that is if I can get the darn thing out of the yard now :crazy:

pm me your addy if ya would I am not sure if I still have it. If ya don't get an email in about 5-10 minutes

3. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Joe sounds like Randy has given you the scoop. Good Luck on hanging into a flattie and have fun. Take pictures of the new PB.:wink:

4. divulsionbob

divulsionbob New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes iam new to this myself. i just heard about the lake through a buddy.the weather just isnt good enough for me yet.plus starting a new job and all. but you can bet ill be at the lake for the first time. id say ill go in a week or so. maybe this weekend. i looked the map up on mapquest. then looked at the earth view .thats were you can see the real pictures of the lake. anyways seems a few good spots out there. but i go to carlyle alot,because thats were my family went back in the day. now i know about this lake. i have a couple of questions aswell about this lake. and flat heads.

1are they good to eat.or just to catch.and if so whats the best size you think for eating if you can.
    2 whats the best bait to use and maybe hook size.
    3.were is good places to get these baits. thanks for your time,bobby.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes they are great eating. size would be your judgement. Best baits (IMO) would be live bullhead, shad, gills etc. Gathering the bait from the same water your fishing.

And Welcome to the BOC!

6. divulsionbob

divulsionbob New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for the info. but i dont have a boat. whats my best chances of catching bait without a boat. is there bait stores that sell shad,or some type of live bait that lives in that water? i live about 50 mins from coffeen lake i live in collinsville. but iam going to be making a few trips there this year.

7. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Catching live gills is not a problem at cofffeen. Just bring a light pole and some crawlers. the cove just to the right of the boat ramp is a good place for flaties. Just try that area from bank. Should be easy to fish from bank.

8. divulsionbob

divulsionbob New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks alot for the info

9. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    any time anyone wants to roll to coffeen let me know,i will meet u there.

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hey Dan, went over and got the camp ground ready today, the lake has more water in it right now than it has in 2 years! I guess that 2' rain yesterday fell right over the area, North ramp is in water dock is floating you could even launch it. South ramp the water is up about 14"s from the caution sign :wink: I'll bet there is some good "flat" fishing for the next week or so!

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    good luck wish i was going , but have things to do . :0a17:

12. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    so when we rollin, this weekend:cool2:

13. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont know Charlie. You guys wanting to hit it Friday night or Saturday? Dan? Randy?

14. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I think the Flathead is the best tasting in the Cat family. The way I prepare any Catfish is fillet it, trim away any yellow colored meat and dark veins, cut into fingers about 1/2 inch thick, rinse thourghly, and soak in a bowl of salt water to boil out the remaining blood for an hour or two. Now you can bag and freeze or batter and fry, or barbecue. Enjoy

15. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    im ready when ever,im gonna try to be there every weekend this summer until i catch my pb,or one of my buddys catch theres.im hopen to see randy,dan,joe,and who ever else wants to roll,lets catch some flathead.o yea joe i left my i.d. in ur car but no worries i will get it this weekend.peace:big_smile:

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I will be there Saturday, maybe friday also, still have a few things to finish up friday but saturday am planning it. were you fellas going to be?

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I may end up at Carlyle as they have been running very well for the past 5-6 days from all the high water.........:wink:

18. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    might try to do a little fishing tonight we will have to see yall need to find us out there i think dan gave his number to everyone,give us a call,i will for sure be out there saterday all day and night.

19. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I will be there tomorrow for sure. I'm thinking about hitting the north ramp. Can a boat fit thru the trussle now? Actually thought about taking the Ranger over and using the trolling motor. I like to see slime on her deck.:wink: I haven't got the navigation lights to work yet. I'm trying to trace down the problem. I can still take the Jon boat if need be.

20. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good luck on your fishing trip