Coffeen lake in Il.- Any luck catfishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by bondman, Jan 18, 2006.

1. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    Just wondering if anyone was having any luck on this lake? I was thinking about heading that way and doing some bank fishing. I have fished this lake in the past and was just wondering if they are doing any good there yet?
    what bait is working the best?
    thanks
    bondman

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Fished that lake a couple of times last year with Chuck and it's a really great lake. Didn't catch much though, but they're there that's for sure. I had a blast drifting Lake Mattoon for channel cats though. That was a blast. Might just have to come up again when the weather is right and do that again.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    man i havnt fished there in a long long time i used to live in hillsborrow and in butler. few years back some guy caught a 51 pounder there. ive found everytime i fished it for cats that liver or crawdads worked good. good luck have fun let us know how you did.

4. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Wish I could help you Henry but I haven't been there since Nov.I have my best luck there drifting with cut bluegill.

5. eogden

eogden New Member

State:
    Carlinville Illinois
    Hey Henry,

Last report I had were cats were fair to good on dip bait & nightcrawlers.
    Hope in the next few weeks to get the chance to go some night.
    How have you been? It'll be good to fish with you again.

Later
    Eric

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL, now it's my turn. He really meant to say he has his best luck there when I'm not there. Funny how that works! And he always orders cold weather if I'm coming up to fish. LOL

7. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    The lake has limited bank fishing access from what I remember. Crawfish, cut bluegill and stink bait worked best for me.

8. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Henry and eric. We need to get out to coffeen sometime.

Hey henry if you still have my phone number give me a call.

I would imagine that the fish like always are biting fairly good. Seems like they always are.

9. eogden

eogden New Member

State:
    Carlinville Illinois
    Hey Bearcat and Henry,

I feel the need! Started with a new company in November & have been so busy with training that I haven't had time for anything else. Great company though with a support system out of this world. I'm only covering 3 counties now & am down to 200-400 mi. a week instead of the 1500. Even found out I've got a wife & kids again!

When do the blues start coming upon behind the Alton lock & dam? If the temp keeps rising I would think that a person could do some good before long.
    I'm open to about anything. Just let me know.
    Later
    Eric

10. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Eric Glad to hear about the new company. Maybe wih henry back in country we can get back to fish this year like before. I am game when ever. Just let me know.

11. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    I went fished (got a line wet) and had a good time. Only caught 1 channel (my brother caught it) i caught a couple of non targeted sub species :mad: .. My friend that works there has since told me that the plant is down it is expected to come back on line around the first week of February. was using shrimp and cut shad for bait.
    Bondman

12. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Henry, were you bank fishing or in a boat? Do you know what the water temp was?

13. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    where is lake coffeen at? what is it close to?

14. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    all right I am going to give the lake another try. The power plant should be back on line I am going to use shrimp again as my brother caught his fish on them.
    Bondman

15. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Charles first off welcome to the BOC.

Coffeen lake is just north of you about 1 hour. It is located about 15 miles south east of Hillsboro. Hillsboro is located 14 miles east of litchfield which is right on RT 55.

Coffeen lake is just east of rt 127 just north of donelson IL. If you were to drive north on rt 127 when you get about a half mile north of donelson there are signs that direct you to the lake. It takes a little wondering around because none of the roads are straight but you will get there.

I hope this helps.

16. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Henry I can see the smoke stack is releasing steam again. I hope that means the plant is up and running again. I can also see that Sangchris is blowning out steam.

17. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bear cat i'll be coming up that way as soon as it gets warm to see what coffeen has to offer. do you fish there often? is it a good place to take my kids? is there a Coffeen exit sign on I-55?

18. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Bwolcott First off. No there is no exit for coffeen at rt55. You would need to take the litchfield exit. Then take RT 16 to hillsboro. The rt 127 to rt185 to the coffeen lake exit. Get a map and check it out.

I havent fished there very much . It is a nice lake. It is a power cooling lake. So the water gets warm early and during the summer it is hot. It is managed by the state of IL conservation department. It would be a place to take the kids. It has a few bank fishing spots but mostly a boat fishing lake. There is a 25 hp limit for boats. I would recomend that you check it out. Lots of people fish it and always catch something.

19. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    i fish coffeen alot and plan on going the next warm weekend im free, when the channel cats start biting you almost have to fish with one pole there is so much action, but the fish are on the small size 98% of the channels you catch are under 3 pounds which is perfect for eating,, flatheads are a differnt story they run big and mean, but you gotta do some work on catching them,, tim

20. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I drove through Hillsboro on my way to Litchfield yesterday (2/10/06) and saw the stacks smoking. So the plant must be running.