coffeen in winter - Broke 10 pound catfish mark

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catinaldatime, Nov 10, 2008.

1. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    dan and i went this weekend.again got a few nice runs,caught some small 1s,and this channel here hit very hard and put up a fight very well.i could have swore it was a flat head because it was dark,i was telling dan while i was fighting it,it feels like a small flat.he was lunging down once he got to the boat like a flat,but regaurdless he was fun,and healthy he well broke the 10 pound mark.

Attached Files:

2. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congratulations, that's a really nice channel.

3. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    VERY nice channel for Coffen- I've caught a ton of channels down there but my pb is only about 4 pounds. What did you get him on?

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like a good fish, congrats

5. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    live bluegill,gotta work real hard for the big ones,my partner and i fished all day from 830am-1030pm,got him around 900pm.we had great strikes,we just missed um or they would drop it,we got a couple small channels, bass,but little.they r there,u just have to play the waiting game.

6. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Nice fish, how about letting the other guy in the boat have a few.:wink:

7. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    nice looking channel cat Charlie.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Charlie, You and Dan gonna fish SATURDAY NIGHT ALSO? Dang key board, Gonna be a bit nipply Saturday, aught to make for some of that sweet thick, can't see the bow of the boat lake fog, lol any who, thinking on Sunday myself, gota test a few Bass items out :wink:

Did you manage to locate any bigger shad last week in the cove mouths? Also, they were getting some nice shad just in front of the dam where they pump water in at the pipe, and also the NW side of the hump there where the tracks stop. can't say they will still be there but weather is gonna be close to same..... one other thing, if they are still pumping water in (you know where I mean?) There were some very nice Stripes smashing rattles and cranks out in front of there about 50 feet, just where you see the surface current break off.

9. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea we r going there saturday we will stay until like 11:00pm or midnight.na ive been looking for that pipe,we picked up a few shad,but not the big ones,we fished right across from dam by that train thats just sitting there,yea i bought some rattletraps from dicks,that r huge,caught a couple bass in ponds on it that u would never think a bass hit something that big,well anyway im going to try them on coffeen.it would be great if we could meet u there saturday,even if its just to shoot the stuff for a minute,i might throw a couple lures:cool2:

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Traps will catch them stripes, big white one being better in that lake, but No I think Saturday is no good, I am looking for Sunday myself, better take yer longuns for Saturday, and the heater too!

11. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    We have just started fishing the hot ditch again. I didn't notice the water running from the water inlet. First time we have fished this area since water level is back to full. Is the pipe under water now? We cut the corner and headed up the ditch and the steam was rather thick the last time through. The bass are starting to be a pain for the catfishing again. The last time out we had a lot of hits that just did not hang on. Our hook up percentage was not very good for some reason. All I caught was short bass and a small channel. I think this Saturday I'll let Charlie watch me catch the big ones.:wink: I'm all for trying it Sunday also, but our women folk usually have other plans for that day. We will see if we can prevent world war 3 and make it also. That will take some real diplomacy.

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    LMAO! Yep, I couldn't say if they were pumping water, it has been off and on Dan, and as you know, when the "Morning Mist" is on you could run into the darn thing before ya seen it, LOL.... that's the bad part on the runners and swing and miss, more than likely it is the green fish, if that starts happening to y'all, make you a trebble stinger hook and tie it right in the eye of your main hook you will soon find out if it is them, Old timer showed me that there years ago, doesn't take long to figure them hitting that way, I have had them pick up 5" gills and run like crazy just to get caught on the stinger type rig, and was shocked to find a 12-14 inch bass try'n to choke the big gills and hole shad down...... It is bad when they drive a fella nuts catching 14 3/4" bass all day/night, bottom fishing live bait...... One sure trick that I have "heard of only" :wink: it to take one of them 10-12" greenies and ummmmm leave it hooked up and drag him along th ebottom shelf areas :wink::smile2: Now calling for SNOW sat night??? that is alway a nice time if the wind isn;t bad.

13. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    well dan and i are about to roll,its cold as all get out!wind all over the place but we hope to pull in a nice 1.hoping we can find a wind broke cove if we need it,on coffeen that should not be a prob at all!if rain stays down we should be fine!

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    So whats the scoop on the Hypothermia brothers and their nice sunny day O fish'n :wink:

15. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I was wondering the same thing!!

16. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    no lunkers,but man we got a mess of channels,it was action all day.1st we post up on a wind broke point,it was around 1130 so i decided to go ahead and throw live out in the middle,and just leave it there.so i take my other pole and down sized,littler hook littler gills,i started throwing it real tight by the bank.as soon as the cut hit by the bank, fish on,then my big pole starts going off,about a 2 pound channel with the tail still sticking out of his mouth,so i threw on another live tossed it back in the middle,sat maybe 5 min,started singing again,none of these channels were over 2 pounds,pounding these nice sized gills.within 2 hours we had our limit,we stayed out until 9:00,if it wasnt windy would have stayed longer.

17. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Nice fish there. Kinda looks like a small submarine LOL. Congratulations.

18. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Man, you guys are tough!! I was seriously considering loading up my boat and going over there yesterday as well. That was until I woke up and saw that the wind was going like it was and I decided to stay home. I am glad you guys were rewarded for your persistance!!

19. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    jmo,on cold windy days like that the power plant really has the current running, well shad move up toward the hot ditch,the water was like 50 deg on the ramp,it was kind of cold,but u get to that ditch,and water is like at least 70 deg.well they love it,tell u what ,we fished at the ramp when we first got there,caught a couple channel,but they didnt fight at all,u hook one in that warmer water and they put up a fight,and u dont have to keep ur pole in that long at the ditch,the fish stay active on days like saturday.all im saying is,yea its cold out there,but man when u love to fish,ya gotta do what ya gotta do.like this winter i will be on coffeen on days colder that.when there aint nothin to do because its to cold,bundle up and go fishing,i cant wait until i have to dip the eye of my pole in warm water to get the ice off so i can make my next cast:wink:

20. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i dont get to post all that much anymore, but how does coffeen do about oh say late december when a sailor gets on shore leave?