Coffee

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by Katmandeux, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I gotta have cawfee, even if i boil it in a tin can.:smile2:

3. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i do something similiar with regular coffe filter in my pot or I use the pre-packaged pooches from maxwell house ( kinda like like big tea bags).

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey thank you for sharing this with us, that looks like it would work great, there is nothing like a good ole cup of coffee at night while fishing I always try to bring some coffee with me.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Years ago, I had my aunt make me a bag with a zipper on it, to put grounds in. I just had one of those gallon porcelain coffee pots you boil the coffee in.

This last winter when I could not do much, I found a 18 cup drip pot on Ebay. That's what I'm going to try and use this year. Pour in the boiling water and wait. lol

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    If you're gonna boil water for coffee anyway, i've had good luck with the coffee bags. They look like tea bags but contain coffee. if you dont mind making it a cup at a time, its great. Tastes like real coffee, not that awful instant stuff. Its nice around the house when i only want one cup instead of a whole pot.

7. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Thanks for sharing this. There are few things more serious in S. Louisiana than its coffee-except fishing.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just use mine on occasion,and pour a bit of cold water over the cup ,It will settle the grounds. Thanks for bringing this up. If i used mine more I would definately use one.

9. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    this is how i make coffee, i stay at state camp grounds were there is electric, lol, just like momma makes it!:wink:

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use to make it extra strength at home and chill it in a tupperware container and just heat up what I want. No mess and better than that instant stuff. :big_smile:

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For emergencies and one cup at a time while camping, you just can't beat those coffeebags (like teabags). When camping, we normally have a big pot of coffee going, but I've had the pot crap out on me, and the singles saved the day. We have a Bunn coffeepot at home, so it's just as easy to make a single cup as it is to make a pot...and quick. I thought my in-laws were crazy to spend that much on a Bunn; thought the $15 pots were more economical. But my wife had to have one too, so we got one, and I don't regret it a bit. They last so much longer that they really don't cost any more in the long run. And since the water is always hot, you can have a pot of coffee in a minute or two. Makes better coffee too.

12. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have an old aluminum campfire perkolator ..works great, so i am told ,
    My dad forgot the coffee pot and the only thing to boil water in was the minnow bucket pail... Yep made good coffee..and he would also pour cold water in to settle the grounds...

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    you can put some eggshells in the percolator to settle the grounds as well. but those prefilled filters are great. you can drink the last cup of coffee without fear! :wink:

14. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I ran across a Coleman "Mr. Coffee" style drip coffee maker for use on the camp propane stove and bought one last year, After field testing on several camping trips last year I am pleased to report it is one of the best camping items I have purchesed in years!

Makes coffee just like at home, same taste, strength and no grounds! Cost was in the mid 30's from Wally World.

I plan on incorporating the stove and coffee maker on several overnight fishing trips I am planning on the pontoon I am setting up for catfishing.
    Just the thoughts of being kicked back in a deck chair, with a fresh cup of java while waiting for the pole to double over sounds really great to this aging old body.

I highly recommend the Coleman coffee maker, I am very pleased with the one I bought.

15. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I think I'll have to try them out. I bought one of them blue percolators from Walmart but never could get it to percolate good. So I just started using it to heat up the water and then pour over instant coffee. Doesn't taste that good, but it is coffee. I ain't real picky and it was good enough for me, but I'm definitely going to try the filters.
    Thanks for sharing.

16. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the link will have to check them out.
    My grandpa gave me an old porcelin coffee pot that he made coffee in on many of deer hunt camps made the best tasteing coffee in the world sure wish I could find it.

17. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the link, there is nothing like a cup of camp coffee.

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  19. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    You guys ain't drinking good camp coffee unless your using one of these;

A french press. No filters, no burnt coffee and as strong as you like it.

Attached Files:

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Gardenhawk picked up an old restaurant type 96-cup coffee urn at a flea market. It has an electric heater to keep the coffee hot, but it's a drip type coffeemaker. It's the type that was in common use back in the 50s and 60s, and still seen in use occasionally today. It's got the glass tube in front so you can see how full the pot is.
    My problem is that I can't figure out how to insert/attach the part that holds the coffee grounds. It will kind of snap onto the top part where you pour the water, and this configuration makes the most sense to me, but when I tried to use it this way, it fell off, down into the part where the brewed coffee sits. If anybody knows how this thing goes together, I'd sure appreciate getting some instruction on it. Here's a picture of that general type of coffeepot:

Attached Files: