Coffee/Percolater; How?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by buddah, Sep 3, 2006.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Ok, I am trying to correctally find out how to make a great cup of coffee using a percolater pot. Anyone gaot a good system?
    Mine comes out too weak or too many grounds or boils over! Here's what I do: Put "stem" in pot and fill with water to just below the coffee basket about an inch and get er boilin' real good and then put the basket on the stem and put on the top. after a minute or so it will start to brew. Am I doin it right?

2. Put in coffee grinds, den fill pot to just half way wit water, put stem and basket in pot and turn fire to low and getting water hot when finished perkin, turn off stove, pour in glass(dis is how you tell a true cajun,its a glass of coffee not a cup of coffee) add sugar and whole milk till its tan in color, sit back with some homemade bread and realx....keeyaawww I am makin my own mouth water, hold on going get me some coffee now...

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    When I was a kid, my mom taught me to use one of these coffee pots. We always put the water in to the desired amount, added the grounds to the basket and then put the stem and basket in the pot. Then turn the flame on the burner to medium and let it perculate for about 5 minutes and turn of the burner and you are ready.(it takes a few minutes for it to start perking)

PS. This is a dying art, Now with all the new stuff coming out all the time. Thank You for reviving it!!!

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It is like casting.Practice!Once you get it down,you can tell by that wonderful smell when it is ready.Most folks try to start off perking with the heat too high and boil it over.On some stoves and pots,you have to make sure that the heat is under the "stem".I collect old coffee pots.I have a modern glass one so I can "Watch" it perk.peewee-williams

5. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Yep, that's how it's done... I like to add just a pinch of salt to grounds before perking...Seems to take some bitternes out.

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I like the salt idea! I asked this because When I'm at my river lot I can make a fine cup, but at home I seem to have trouble! I'm sure that the heat source has everything to do with it. (campfire-vs.-stove) So I will have to play with perc times and temperature. Keep em' coming! I love good advice and couldn't think of a better place or people to get it from!

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

It never fails. I always have grounds in coffee when I perc it, Michelle's mother can perc coffee in her sleep and never have one ground are bitter coffee. I have had her show me a few times how to do it and I still fail. So I just stick with cowboy coffee grounds and all.

8. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    the trash. Get yourself a coffee press. Just google coffee press. A company called bodum makes several that are very good. Making excellent coffee could not be simpler. These presses were made for the outdoors. If you can boil water on a camp stove then you can make excellent coffee. Take the plunger out the press, add coffee grounds, boil water, pour water into press. Stir. Allow the coffee to steep, you'll figure out how long on your own. Put the plunger back into the press and push the grounds to the bottom of the press. That's it. But if you like boiled, bitter, over extracted and gritty coffee and cleaning up a mess, continue with the percolator. Percolators are the enemy of good coffee. Check out a site called www.coffeegeek.com. On second thought just throw the stem and basket in the trash keep the pot to boil water in for the press. Just clean well first. Always keep your kettle and press clean.

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Black water makes the best Coffee and Iced Tea to me.I think it,like the pinch of salt keeps the tannic acid from leaching out and giving you that bitter taste.Right now I am going to have to disagree with EVERYONE that has the best way to make Coffee.If there was a BEST for everyone,there would be no market for all of the different pots,ways,brands and flavors of coffee.You are going to have to find what you like,learn how to make it and go from there.I wish you the best of luck.peewee-williams

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Get a BUNN COFFEE POT. problem sloved for many years. Love ours.

11. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    When we was growing up at home thats all Mom drank was coffee made in one of them percolater coffee makers. this is how she made hers, but I woulden't recomend it! She would fill the pot up with water to the mark just below the basket and put the basket in and then almost fill the basket full with coffee put the lid on, turn the burnner on medium and perk that stuff tell half the water had evaperated and boiled out, and then pore herself a cup of that coffee. Thickest coffee i've ever seen! And drink that Stuff, AKK!! And when Friends came visiting and she offered them a cup they NEVER ask for Seconds!! I wonder if thats what made her So Mean? I woulden't think that just because there were ten us kids like stair steps just barley one year apart in age would have anything to do with her frame of mind. Now do you? J.D.

12. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    as a kid my grandma didnt have any kind of coffee pot and didnt have a bath room ,you had to go out to the outhouse . but i remember watching her make coffee on the stove in a big pot she filled the pot with water and with coffee and let it boil ture it off when it was done and then she would put cracked egg shells in the pot ,once they went to the bottom they had coffee. The egg shells took the grounds with them to the bottom, so no ground in the coffee, so they say lol i was a young kid so never tryed it. good luck

13. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Ever tried a dripolater? My parents have been using the same one for close to 30 years. Makes great coffee.

14. My grandma sometimes used what dey called a sock pot. it was a porcelin pot wit a small basket on da top. da basket had a ole piece of flour sack in it making it a "sock" she would put da coffee grounds in it and pour hot water in da sock and let it seep down into da pot part. she would do this until da pot was full....keeyaawww...dem was da best glasses of coffee I ever had. can still remmeber dem,and no grinds eider

15. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Used to know this old timer who's wife made coffee in a sock. It was great for about 30 minutes, but she'd leave it on the stove all morning, and around 11 o'clock, it'd knock the ears off a mule.

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The eggshells were ALWAYS PARCHED while fresh in the oven first.Sometimes a dash of cold water was added with the shells.If you didn;t ,a eggshell could get rotten pretty quick with no refridgeration.peewee-williams

17. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A tin can with the lid attached and bent back for a handle was a very common coffee pot for hunters,fishermen,loggers,pulpwooders,Gum dippers etc.You boiled your coffee,pulled it off the fire,added a little cold water and let the grounds settle.Drinking out of that hot can was a art.Also straining the grounds through your teeth or drinking them down with the coffee on a freezing day.There were often common spots where the cans were left turned upside down on a broke off bush for common use.Some of you old hands probably remember this and the turned up cans on a bush around landings,high banks and such where people fished.peewee-williams

18. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I love those coffee presses..press pots. I don't have one though. Good idea might be a lil' messy at the campfire though.

19. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    That's funny! I'm not gonna try that one...heh,heh, Sounds like one of those early times "snake oil" energy drinks!