Coffee County Lake (wolf creek)

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by brad kilpatrick, Feb 14, 2007.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    any one been out to coffee county or heard any news lately. good? bad? or otherwise? Its out there a ways but has awful good fishing.

2. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would like to hear some news too. Looking for somewhere to go this weekend, and everything around here has to much ice, was thinking about Coffee County, or Lacynge, for some warm water.

3. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Jeff we talked to Coffee county tonight. said that the lake has been closed a lot lately (due to high wind) but said when the fishermen have been able to get out on it, they have been tearing them up. hot bite for largemouth, whites, & hybrids and a few smallies and walleye

4. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've only been to Coffee County a couple of times, and my advice is be sure to call ahead or check ahead because they do close the lake completely to boats if the wind is a minimum speed which it would be this time of year a lot.

Be careful in a boat, as there are large areas that are only 1 - 2 ft deep that you wouldn't expect by looking. Also, I read last year the lake was very low and it was all but impossible to launch a lot of trailered boats.

I know the boat ramps are NOT steep at all and even a couple of years ago I had to put most of my SUV in the water (even front tires were in the water, exhaust totally underwater) to get in far enough and still had to roll my boat on and off the trailer by hand.

Also, if you want to keep any fish other than cats, it's not the place to go. Catfish is limit of 10, but other species are only 1 or 2 limit mostly.

If you go and they're closed, there is John Redmond Reservoir close by as a Plan B, but the water has been very low there also.

5. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    sunny 52 with 5-10mph wind is expected for today. even though My boat is pretty big (20') it'll float in less then 1' of water, I'll get her in there.

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Brad,

Did you go down? I am off tomorrow, and still thinking about it. Let me know how you did.

7. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    We managed 27 whites and wipers before the pager started going off and we had to get off the lake at 1:00. kind of a bummer We ahd just got locked on to them and were catching them pretty regular.

I wanted to do some controled drifting for some blues but My plug to the trolling motor had a bunch of ice in it and blew all the fuses I had on the boat!, hopefully the water was just shorting it out.

8. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just curious as to the water level at the boat ramp. How easy was it to launch and trailer the boat ?

9. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Had to put the back tires of the truck into the water, but no big deal.