Coffee Anyone? Do you use coffee in homemade baits?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by kyredneck, Dec 1, 2008.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I see where Strike King is making tube skirts that are salt impregnated and scented with coffee bean granules/oil; the scent of coffee is supposed to be 'incredibly attractive' to fish.

Anyone here ever incorporate coffee into your homemade baits?

2. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Sounds like another gimmick to catch fishermen,...Never heard of coffee drinking fish.:roll_eyes:

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Do they prefer regular or decaff???:eek:oooh::smile2:

4. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I hope they don't like starbucks.... I couldn't afford that...lol

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ....hehe, it doesn't say in this article if he was using reg or decaf........

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?page=icast_making-scents

".......Troy Gibson of Strike King Lures has been fishing since he was old enough to walk. And as a lure designer, he always pays attention to the forage fish in a particular body of water. Two years ago, Gibson competed in a Bassmaster Central Open on Texas' Lake Sam Rayburn. At the end of the day, while his co-angler went to get his vehicle and back the boat trailer in the water, Gibson ate a package of crackers and sipped the last cup of coffee from his thermos.

Gibson tossed some cracker crumbs in the water, so he could observe the sunfish that gathered to eat them. When he realized the last of his coffee was filled with grounds, he tossed it in the water on the other side of his boat.

"The bream left the crackers to go to the coffee grounds," said Gibson. "Then it turned into a feeding frenzy. Instead of just a few fish, it turned into 15 or 20. They looked like piranhas chewing those coffee grounds."

So Gibson thought about integrating a natural element, coffee, into the soft plastic process of manufacturing tube lures. The result is Strike King's new Coffee Tubes, which are coffee and salt impregnated.

Subsequent field tests on the lure have been so successful that Wednesday Gibson was predicting his creation would help some pro angler win the next Bassmaster Elite Series event, which concludes Sunday on Lake Erie......"

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Might be a good chum for bait, something to get their attention.
    I've seen perch go after sand thrown in the water, doesn't mean it'll be good bait. I'm betting it was more of a sight/sound attraction rather than scent.

Now maybe if you used espresso :wink::smile2:

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Maybe there was a bit of Rum in it!!

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ha!! Now I DO know of some folks that use moonshine in their bait concoctions.............

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think its a great idea and worth trying. I will test it in the spring and post back.

10. swink1

swink1 New Member

State:
    NC
    works on carp

11. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I use egg shells and Coffee grinds in my worm bed. Its the fish who get nervous when I use the worms for bait. Seriously, I know it don't harm the bite, I still catch a lot of Trout, and catfish, don't know if it helps either, I just know I catch fish with the coffee ingested worms.

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Thats interesting, I'm always interested in trying something new. I'll remember to give that a try in the spring. Water is kinda hard now. I bet a guy could use instant coffee on a marshmallow.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Not only does it sound like something worth trying on catfish, but it sounds great for attracting bream, especially when you're wanting to catch them in your cast net. And cheaper than crackers. :tounge_out:

Ain't that called 'recycling'? :eek:oooh:

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    As a kid my worms were almost always in a Maxwell House can . Come to think of it I used to catch more fish !

15. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    umm err ahhh he he he I wonder ifn deys any expresso drinking catfish, cuz it seems like deys wood be in a big hurry to get another shot.
    makes me wonder about dem dare french catfish to, lol do dey want cappucino's ? lattes? grandes?
    and could I get an interpreter to ask One cuz dis old hillbilly cant speak dat dare franch talk.

Now Ima wonderin how may of dem fishy's smoke and watch monday night football:confused2:

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC Brian; I see this is your first post.

Do you care to share how you use coffee in carp bait?

17. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    I have also heard the same thing. they say bass love em. I figure if bass like the scent cats surely will. im gonna try some chicken breast soaked in an extra strong pot of joe. i will keep you posted on the outcome.

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC. Please let us know hoewit works:wink:

19. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah i can see catfish cranked up on caffeine jetting through the water like torpedoes lol.And they would be all grumpy in the morning until they had there first cup.

20. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    SO THE KEY WORD HERE IS USED COFFEE GROUNDS NOT UNCOOKED COFFEE??
    HOW ABOUT THE DUNKIN DONUTS ??

THOUGHT I WOULD ASK:smile2: