Cobb Cooker

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Ok, I finally got to use my Cobb over the weekend. The wife and I went to Greenleaf state park last friday and got home at 11am today.

First, that is a really nice park. Nicest I have been to. Excellent cabins. Didn't catch any fish, but the weather was really blustery all weekend. Lots of rain friday night and early sat morn.

The Cobb is really a little oven. We cooked burgers on it friday evening. The grill is not subjected directly to the coals, so you don't get the grill marks and well cooked outside that some of us are used to.

However, that is not a negative. Following the instructions, the burgers were done to a "T". Moist and tender.

I cooked the chicken saturday afternoon. Filling the little briquet holder up, I followed the cooking instructions of 1.5hrs, turning it after 3/4ths of an hour.

The wife sliced and diced some garlic, tomatoes, onions, and TSS Blazin BBQ and mixed it all with some fried bacon bits and put it under the skin. She then dried the skin, rubbed it down with butter and put TSS on the outside with salt and pepper. I put a couple of cups of merlot wine in the moat to help keep it moist.

As I said, it was very windy. For safetys sake I cooked it for awhile outside. I believe that was a mistake. Altho the grill is certainly protected, there can be no doubt that the wind must have cooled it some. After the first half hour I brought it inside and put it on the counter. The chicken was slightly underdone. I think probably another 15 minutes or so would have been good.

The final product was excellent. It was very juicy and the combination of spices the wife used worked very well indeed. Served with potatoes cooked in the moat and a salad, it was great camping fare. It was delicious!

My camera malfunctioned and I lost most of my pics. I will try to post the ones i have.

Attached Files:

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    This is slower cooking than I am used to, but I am going to corral my patience and do it again. This is really good cooking.

Attached Files:

3. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Phill, I looks like that was worth waiting for, I am thinking crappie filets and new potatos cooked in the cob sounds great. keep us posted on what else you cook in your cob cooker.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Phil thanks for sharing. I dont believe ive ever heard of a cob cooker. Where did you purchase it at??

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for sharing Phil!

6. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Looks delicious, Phil!
    Never heard of this cooker, but do alot of slow-cooking in both the crock-pot and oven roasting at lower temps. Seems to seal in all the juices and just make everything taste better.
    Glad you had fun at the park, despite the weather!

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
  8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Phil Looks great thanks for the pictures. Just a little tip,next time stick the ol meat thermometr in between the leg and thigh next to the bone 170 degrees your done chop,chop,ummm god. J.D
    :0a26:

9. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Awright Phil, that sure does look good buddy. I am tickled that you like the little cooker. You and your wife sure know what good food is. Now we need to get us one of the little Cobb cookers. Thanks for letting us know about how it worked for you. By the way, that cabin sure does look like a cozy place to stay.