Coating for inside jon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by gearhead, Dec 9, 2007.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Whats a good light color rubberized or non slip paint for the inside of my jon boat its green painted aluminium .I want to do all the interior floor and the sides and benches . Thanks in advance (Jeremy)

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    A product called Tuff coat. They are the manufacture of the coating that both Cabelas and Bass Pro sales. It is $65 a gallon and you can get it in several colors. If you buy five or more gallons that will custom match it for free. I have five gallon setting in the kitchen floor ready to go in my boat. I just need to finish the sanding and a few small decisions.

PM me if you want a link to the Tuff Coat site.

Hope this helps.
    David

3. IowanInTexas

IowanInTexas New Member

State:
    Texas now
    The paint store told me to go see the [SIZE=-1]DIAMOND LINER dealer I put that in then painted it gray.
    [/SIZE]

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Chris,
    Welcome to the BOC.

Jeremy,
    How big a boat are you going to be adding this coating to? If you have it professionally sprayed keep in mind the thicker the coating the more it will way. I have some samples here on my desk of the Tuff Coat. They are pretty thin and I cannot with all my strength tear them or pull them apart. Seems to be pretty strong stuff.
    I was concerned with adding a lot of unnecessary weight with a super thick coating. That and cost were two reasons i decided on the Tuff Coat product.
    i am going to apply it myself and not have to pay labor to have a product sprayed. The local Rhino dealer wanted almost $800 to spray mine and no where near a match in color.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you go with eco-tuff you can choose between 19 colors, size of rubber granules , and load density or no load.
    You can also go with an underwater formula.

They are polyeurathane coatings and buildable.
    I've got 22 coats below the waterline on the pontoons. That stuff aint coming off without sandblasting or grinding. A steel brush wont touch it.

I'm using just the straight underwater coating. It goes on thin and dries fast.
    By the time I roll the length of a pontoon I can wlk to the other end and start another coat.
    Full cure is 7 days.

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Mark,
    You were the one that got me pointed in the right direction on this type of coating (thanks again). Tuff Coat makes the product for Eco tuff also and it is a lot cheaper if you buy from Tuff Coat.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You are correct. I went eco-tuff for options they offer and the tech support.

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I also contacted Eco Tuff first to get samples of the product and colors. :big_smile:

I talked with a gentleman named Mike at Tuff Coat and he has been extremely helpful with everything I needed. He sent me out even more sample chips after I told him what I had gotten from Eco Tuff.

Here are some pics of the sample chips he sent me. Kinda give you an idea of the texture and how thin they are. That is a quarter in the last picture to the right of the product sample.

You will also need a primer for the aluminum.

Attached Files:

9. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Its a 16' painted green . Could you put that over that green paint thats on there already .I fish every weekend and hate to have down time with my boat.

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Jeremy,

That would be best answered buy the factory. Just to be on the safe side but I don't think they would answer you any differently than they did me.

They told me you could as long as the paint was not having any issues with lose of adhesion. You have to prep the surface with 36 grit paper and then wash it down with water and something like simple green. Then dry everything will compressed air if possible. The 36 grit paper will remove the paint pretty fast.
    I am going to remove as much of the factory paint as possible. I would not want the factory paint to let go and cause the coating to fail. I would think you could easily do it all in one weekend or less.

Mark has a lot more experience with the product than I do and might have a different view point.

Thanks
    David

11. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    Do you have a website or contact number for Tuff Coat? I did a Google search and it brought up Ultra Tuff, is this the samething?

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Dale,
    That is it but to make sure I will PM you with a link.

13. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I used Tuff Coat on my 1652 jon. I'm real happy with the outcome. Be sure to follow the directions to the letter. Use the right primers on wood and aluminum. They sale both. Surface prep is critical, but not hard to do. Ba$$Pro can have it on your doorstep in about 5 days. Be sure to choose a cool color, temperature wise that is. I did mine in sand. Good luck with whatever you choose.

14. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Barry,
    Do you have pics of the finished product?
    How many gallons did it take?
    I ordered five gallons for mine but I am still trying to get it all sanded and prepped for the coating. :tounge_out:
    Thanks,
    David

15. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    No pics right now, I need to get some taken and update my "Boat Modification Journal" posting. Its probably been pushed back in the files, I havent updated it since about June. I'll try to get that done soon. The Tuff Stuff website was very helpful. Nice application guide. You might want to check it out if you havent yet.

16. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I only coated my drop deck in the front, the center floor, and 2 aluminum seats. I'm into it at about 3 gallons of coating. 3 coats on everything, top and bottom on the wood to seal it up.

17. Dean Shipwash

Dean Shipwash New Member

State:
    n.c Trinity
    [Hey its Dean I put the Tuff coat on my 19ft. jonhboat the 1st. time and did not sand it BIG MISTAKE it peeled up. I would not doit until it warms :eek:oooh: up and sand,primer it . It looks good and keeps the noise down

18. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Dean,
    Did you end up doing it all over or what?
    Thanks for the info and tip. I am lucky that I have my boats in a heated garage and it is stored there full time. If I did not I would defiantly wait till warmer weather came around again.
    Thanks again,:big_smile:
    David

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    keep those journals updated. Its what makes the section work.
    We want the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    It helps the next guy out.

20. jrod79

jrod79 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey bigdav i just bought a gallon of tuff stuff at bass pro and no one could tell me if i needed the hardener or not so i didnt get it . do u know anything about it that might be helpful? htey said they thought the straight stuff was all i needed.