Coating for carpet on boat trailer??

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by fat_fish55, Feb 27, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    is there anything i can coat the carpet or just the wood guides on my trailer with to make it slide on and off better?

2. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    there are several plastic like materials you could use . UHMW , Teflon, delrin. check out cabelas they have uhmw i think they call them trailer glides.

3. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    i say the way to go is using Teflon. it's good stuff and will last you

4. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    also dirt and other stuff wont grab on to it as well all you have to do is spray it off.. if you cant tell i use it and love it.. best of luck to you

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Until you get the glide on strips, you can go to the grocery store and in the canning section, you'll find parafin blocks, used for sealing cannrd goods.

Buy some and rub down your bunks. It's like waxing ski's or a surf board.

6. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I haven't found a carpet coating that's worth much or lasts long. Bobpaul's recomendation is about as good as it gets.

Personally, I make my own glide strips from the cutting boards made by Rubbermaid. They're real teflon, can be cut easily with a power saw, are very cheap and one 24 X 36 board can make lots of glides.

Be wary of most poly boards like those sold at Walmart. They melt under a saw blade and are not the same material as commercial glide ons ... the Rubbermaid boards are.

You can even heat and bend these to fit over and down the rear bunk ends ... can't do that with a cheap board ...

After mounting, draw a sharp knife along all edges and corners to eliminate the sharp edges and to round everything smooth... nothing to catch a rivet or a scar in the finish.

my 2 cents worth ...

7. carl j roach

carl j roach New Member

State:
    florida
    find in a southern boating mag the people that fool with air boats, they buy the slick stuf in large sheets[4' by8'] its not cheap, they put it all over the bottom so they can drive on hard ground,long grass or on trailer. it comes about 1/4 in. thick, think it can be thicker also. i don't remember the nameof it,think it was called mylar an was bolted to the bottom of the hull. good luck, carl

8. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    You can buy teflon abrasion strips (expensive), but very efficient. I'll send you a PM with the address if you are interested or I can post it if allowable.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The easiest, quickest and most effective way to go is to go to WalMart (or your local hardware store or whatever) and get a 3 dollar can of spray silicone. Next time you put the boat in the water, spray the bunks. Soak them down pretty good. It will dry while you are out on the water. The boat will then slide on and off the bunks very easily.

Yes, it wears off. I retreat mine about 2 times per year. That's pretty darn cheap. Also, be careful!! The first couple of times that you take the boat off the trailer after you treat it, it will slide off real easy. I almost launched mine without me the first time because it started just sliding away before I was ready.

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    BTW - I live on the coast, where a lot of people own big heavy fiberglass boats (25 foot grady whites and the like) and this is what they do. I have also heard that spray furniture polish will work. I use silicone.

11. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for all the tips guys

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    What about going to the lumber yard and getting the plastic deck boards? seems as if you'd never have to worry about them rotting, and I assume they'd be slick in the water.

13. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    Put new carpet on my trailer guides this winter. Tried Bob Pauls suggestion and found that it works great. Quick and cheap, thanks Bob Paul.

Riverjake

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I read on the site, by one of our boating expert, that a quart can of acetone mixed with chunks of a candle work extremely well. Put the candle in the acetone until it melts. Add sufficient candle was until you have a paste. Smear/paint this on the bunks and let it dry. Repeat the process as necessary. Lot cheaper than the commercial stuff thats been presented.