Coastal Fishing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Freshbait, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Freshbait

Freshbait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey ya'll...Just wanted to share...I'm headed to the coast for the week and gonna try my hand at some surf fishing! If you can't tell...I'm stoked! Maybe I will even get a shark before he gets me!!!!! Be around Cherry Grove and Garden City area...hope to have some pics to post when I get back...got to show up kvillcat(hes comming too). Wish us luck!

Christy

2. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Good luck surf fishing and welcome to the BOC!

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dont forget the sand fleas.

4. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Good luck , catch a biggun . :wink:

5. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    we caught squat.:sad2:

John

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I had to deal with a mud line last week for about the whole week.
    I didn't carry my heavy hitters to get out past the line with being it was a family vacation.
    So I know when you got a mudline you better be ready to catch alot of sharks and not much else.

In 8 days I could have filled up a pickup truck bed with the sharks I caught. Largest shark was around 36".
    Later in the week the mud line skinnied up enough to where I could cast past it and manage to get into the black drum and some decent sized croakers.
    All of my fishing was done at night on the tide changes.

Nothing really to write home about. I've had alot better luck but it was vacation. I was determined the most effort I put forth all week would be toting a chair to the surf and doing 12 oz. curls.

August really isn't a good time of year for surf fishing. The summer doldrums have set in and the bait isn't in the surf in any numbers.

Mid to late September and on through November is the time for surf fishing.
    I'll hit it a few days in the fall for some drum and blues.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yep Mark, I'll agree with ya there. Surf fishing in the middle of summer isn't all that great. It will pick up next month and be good in places all through the winter.

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    J ohn i always heard those squats were real picky, u must of had the wrong bait :wink::smile2: o i,m bad i went back to reread your post an u caught squat ,what tide an what kind of bait did u get them on :smile2:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009