Coastal Fishing the Carolina's!

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ste6168, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey guys, I am from PA and will be heading down to Myrtle Beach tomorrow morning. I am staying for a week and will probably end up fishing almost every night. I won't be catfishing (unless any of you are willing to get together and put me on a fish or two :smile2::wink:). My reason for posting here is that (although not too sure if any of you fish the coast) I am looking for coast/surf fishing help, opinions, and information. I am staying in the Brighton at the Kingston Plantation right down from the Apache Pier. What I am looking for is baits, spots/locations, regulations (ie, do I need a license to surf/pier fish, or any special rules I should be aware of), rigs, weight, tactics, etc, etc. Anything you guys can think of that will hopefully help me get into some fish (any type really) will be great. Thanks, and again, if anyone would like to get together and do some cat hunting, I would definitely be interested, just send me a PM and we'll get in contact! Any information will help!

Thanks all, Ste

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  2. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Yes as of July 1st you must have a license to surf fish in SC.If you pier fish it is covered by the fee at pier.If you try in the surf use shrimp on some bottom rigs and you can catch Whiting,blues,etc.Hope this helps.
    Sorry not helpful with spots there to try,but Im in Charleston.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just go to the pier and they will give you all the scoop on what is going on in the surf.There are some big cats in the AIWW along that area also.:smile2:

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    If you wanna target Blues and Flatheads you can go to Barefoot Landing on the ICW,there are some real hawgs in there,use live and cut bream for bait.Flounder are starting to hit real good on the mud minnows up in Little River Inlet and out by the jetties.Surf and peir fishing will offer you many different types as said in another post with shrimp,bloodworms and squid being the preferred baits..New laws are you have to have a fishing license now for surf and peir fishing,check the SCDNR website for all the updated info on that.
    Good luck and give us a report on your return.

5. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the info so far. Can anyone fill me in on some more specific info, ie: what size/type hooks, amount of weight, how far out to cast, etc.

About barefoot, where exactly can you fish there? I have been to barefoot landing before and it just doesnt seem like a place that would allow you to fish from their peirs :eek:oooh:! Is there like a back channel or somewhere not so "tourist attraction-ish" there where you can set up and fish?

Also, the AIWW, I thought it was salt? or is it brackish? There are really big cats in there? Might just have to make that a stop on the list!

If the fishing is as good as this information, ill be getting into some great fish :smile2::wink:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    hey bud, everything u need will be right there at the pier. if u want some fresh bait, go down to surfside or murlles inlet and find the boats coming in with a fresh catch. those boys dont mind selling right off the boat.

7. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks guys. I am leaving PA now, staying overnight in NC and then will be in Myrtle on Saturday afternoon. Saturday evening I will be hitting the surf!

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Mike, there is a place on 17 business in murrells inlet called perrys bait and tackle they will have any kind of bait or tackle you will need. they have live shrimp, mullet, fiddler crabs, mud minnows, sand fleas, and all kinds of frozen stuff from menhaden to squid. they even carry some fresh water baits for the people who fish the rivers. also they will be able to tell you what is biting and where. also if you want to fish at night there is a pier down the road from there at captian dicks marina it is part of the marsh walk I fish there quite often, it gets alittle crowded at times but the fishing is good. I have caught, red fish, flounder, sheephead, blue fish, sting rays and shark from the end of the walkway along with some other types of fish there. also it is pretty easy to net some mullet there. at night I like to catch some pin fish and cut them up for bait with like a 7 or 8 hook last week I caught a 79 lb sting ray and a 5 1/2 nurse shark off the end there. kinda tough to fish during the day cause alot of boats coming and going though. hope this helps you some.