CO2 and preserving bait!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by joesf, Feb 26, 2006.

1. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I saw in the news the other day that a lot of our meat is treated with CO2 to preserve it and retain the red color.

I was wondering if any of you guys that have vacuum sealers would know if it would be possible to convert them to inject CO2 prior to vacuum sealing your bait?

Where would a person go to get a tank of CO2?

Could you just use dry ice and get the same effect?

Sounds like it maybe be some work to set up a process but if it would work to keep bait from times of plenty it might be worth it.

Just thought this might be a good brotherhood project.

2. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    I know we test alot of cylinders that are used in the food industry for preserving fruites and vegies and also some for meats....not sur eif straight dry ice would work since dry ice is just the "run off" from CO2...... you can get CO2 at most of your welding supply stores,i know thier are quit a few airgas companys in IL that supply CO2 and banana gas,a Co2 mixture that also has i think its N2 but could be wrong...you can also get CO2 from a paintball supply store and the small 4-20oz tanks from wally world that are made for paintballing.
    if you go to messin with CO2 and the cylinders be very carful,the cylinders are rated to 1800 which is a lil less then 3000 psi no matter the size of tank,some cylinders are also 2015{3,360psi} and 2265{3775 psi}. but if you have an airgas welding supply company talk to them they will tell you exactly what ya need in gas types,which i would gues sthey would recommend a Co2 mix like banana gas or beer gas...good luck and keep us posted.

3. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    What ever happen to all the engineers and handyman members that use to jump all over a thread like this?