The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall.... So first yr fishing for catfish..... Dexter has channel cats bullhead and blues..... Ive seen all 3 in person but have only caught two bullhead this yr.... Im using braided line and team cat fish hooks with worms..... And tried secret 7.....what the heck am i doing wrong..... Ps dont talk me out of braided..... Ive converted from monofilament and am never going back.... Appreciate the help..... Can upload pics of rigs during daylight if needed...

·
Administrator
10,647 Posts
Hi Beck, braid is fine if you like it. Pics of your rigs could be helpful but some other questions come to mind first. Are you fishing for channel cats or blues? What size hook are you using. Are you on the bank or in a boat?

You may not be doing anything wrong at all. It is very close to spawning time and although all cats don't spawn at the same time, your odds go down during that period.

Either a Carolina rig with a sliding sinker just heavy enough to hold the bait in place, or a three way rig are the most common. Either can work. I use mostly cut bait (cut pieces of fish) for bait but that can vary from state to state as far as being legal. I generally get shad with a cast net but if you don't have that, catch some bluegill and use them for bait IF legal there.

Some other baits to try would be store bought shrimp. Fresh is better than frozen. Chicken liver is good but is sometimes hard to keep on a hook. You can use a piece of medical gauze to put the liver in then put a Eagle Claw baitkeeper J hook through one end of the gauze then twist it a time or two before putting the hook through the other end. Cut pieces do panty hose works good also. Remember with the J hook you have to set the hook but with a circle hook you don't.

If using a circle hook, you want almost all of the hook exposed so just through the bait enough to keep the bait on the hook but no more.

Finally, try more than one location if you can get to it. I like to fish flat areas. The cats travel in channels and may set on a drop off but they go out on a flat bottom to find food. Another reason I like flats is because I am in a boat and they are good to suspend several baits just above the bottom and then drift a boat over.

Tell us more about where your fishing and what you are doing.

Tight lines

Reactions: Catpaw
1 - 3 of 3 Posts