Clutch Problem

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by bigflathunter, Mar 14, 2006.

1. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    I drive a 96 Chevy S10 with a 4 cylinder and a 5 speed, and the vehicle has 117,000 miles and the original clutch. The transmission is a New Venture gear NV1500. Here in the last two weeks the clutch went kaputz. It was working fine, with no slippage, and I had about 4-5" of travel up from the floor before it would start to engage. Over the course of a few days it got to the point where I had to mash the pedal all the way to the floor to even get it in to gear, and it was engaging within 1/2" of the floor. Well I started hoping it would get to the weekend so I could attempt to put in a new one, but it didn't. This morning I had trouble getting it in to gear, but I made it to work. I didn't make it home from work. I could not get it in to gear to leave the parking lot and had to catch a ride.

There are number of things that could be wrong, but what do you guys think? My hope is that the fluid level just got low and it simply needs a refill and to be bled out, but with 117,000 miles it probably needs new everything.

Your input is appreciated.

2. wildcatter

wildcatter New Member

State:
    Irvington, Ky
    Aaron, sounds like you definately have a leak,or the cylinder is bad. Check all your lines and fluid level, then bleed the lines. If the problem persist,replace the hydraulic clutch cylinder.

3. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    So is it low on fluid?

4. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    I checked the clutch master cylinder and the fluid was about an inch from the top. Overall it looked like it was about 3/4 full. It seems full enough that it shouldn't have gotten any air into the system. I'll bleed it out anyways just in case, but at this point it probably needs a new clutch anyways.

Last night I had to start the truck, jump out and push it through the parking lot until it was moving quick enough to jump in and pop it in to first gear (I had NO clutch play, really soft pedal), and made it the entire way home without hitting a single red light - a real surprise!

5. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    my guess is:
    • low on fluid
    • over filled on fluid
    • slave/master cylinder
    • maybe just the clutch itself
    • pressure plate
    out of those i would go in that order..... :) just my opinions

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I had an old Toyota and I was at a stop sign. Let out the clutch and nothing. It had about the same milage as yours. I took it apart and the clutch came out in pieces. The biggest chunk was about the size of a quarter. My mechanic said he had never seen anything like it. Just fell apart. Luckily the parts were not real expensive and most of the work I did myself. 4 bangers have light trannies. I had a ford that did similiar, but it was the slave cylinder.

Best of luck