Clunkers Close to the Heart

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Redd, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Just goin' down the road, listening to my old truck grumble and backfire, I stared at the pavement through the rusted holes in my floorboard…and it got me to wonderin'... What's the worst conditioned vehicle you've owned? Pics are a must! (Will get some of my own up, asap!)

Currently I'm driving a baby turd green '74 ford with an exhaust leak from hell, that eats gas and oil like I ate rubber bands and pennies during my diaper days... Just replaced my fuel pump, aswell as fixed a gas leak, I'm currently gettin' oil in two of my eight spark plugs (that could be a problem...:confused2:), power stearing fluid leaks, carbureater leaks, break fluid leaks, the stick comes out of the transmission, my bed's so rusted the tailgate's long fallen off and can effortlessly shake its sides without moving the rest of the truck...But without a doubt, most possitively sure predicament I've ever had to face with this ol' ford, which makes all others just seem so petty is... NO RADIO!!!:crazy: I have other little problems such as the back glass being duct taped in place, door handle broken, ect. But those are easily over looked...:wink:

Anyway, there's another clunker close to my heart, but for the sake of keeping this post at a tolerable length, I'll post it later. So, let's hear your stories! I hope somebody has me beat...:smile2:.

-Red

2. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Sounds like you've got Vernon's old truck before he got his newest clunker. :smile2: I'm a country girl and there ain't nothing better than cruising the back roads in an old pickup. Well, a radio helps too.

Redd, have you named her? something that "special" has got to have a name.

3. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    not me lol i had a 1980 monte carlo that had a bad transmission and only halfway got me from point a to b lol i dont have pics of it seeing as i hated the piece of crap but if i run across a pic ill throw it on here.
    my newer car a 2001 Pontiac Aztek is a clunker the tranny is about to go out in it and no money to fix it or even patch it for now, i love it dont get me wrong but its a headache trying to get somewhere that has a hill lol it wont CLIMB a hill in reverse for anything and that causes problems when you go fishing on the bank somewhere with a slope lol:roll_eyes:
    but it has a 6 disk cd changer so ill look over it for now and we have lots of room for the five of us lol a big plus!!!

the other pic is my wifes car the Daewoo-Nubira or as i like to call it the biggest waste of money we ever got, nothing good about em except the gas mileage if you can keep em going lol :tounge_out::roll_eyes::eek:oooh::big_smile:

Attached Files:

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I have LONG debated several names...can't seem to come up with a good'un, though. Best one I thought of so far (although extremely lame) is " three niney-whoop hiney" Hence the three ninety that's been slapped in under the hood. (Improper spelling, I know, but intended to be said with dialect...:wink:) Considering it'll only top out at fifty-five mph, the name's a complete lie anyway...lol

-Red

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't know that I got ya beat Redd, but heres my lovely little ol' rip and her story. Don't have a pic.-srry.

1992 GMC 3/4 ton, 170,000 miles, hardly any paint. Front seal leak, power steering leak, muffler tied on with number nine wire and continually has to be re-tied. Cab corner cancer, bed won't haul oats, tail gate falls off when opened. Air conditioner doesn't work, doors won't stay closed. Grill wired on from deer kill. Left front quarter panel and left rear quarter panel dented from deer kills, 2 at the same time) Right cab corner dented from deer kill. I love this truck, wife made me get a newer one a month ago. Bought a used 1994 GMC, one with paint. Haven't got a name for it yet.

Nancy wants me to sell the ol' rip, but it is extremely difficult to do. My Dad died in 1996 and we took the truck to his funeral. The burial was in one town and the dinner was in another. Returning home after the dinner we had to go through the town dad was buried in. Nancy driving, we met a truck carrying a tractor-loader backhoe that had dug the grave for my Dad and filled it in. Just as I mentioned that to her a rock came off that loader, bounced once on the road and right into the passenger sided windshield. It caused a BB hole in the windshield right in front of my face. I am not necessarily superstitious but that gave me the willies. The windshield never cracked and after another 110,000 miles is still the same, but it is obviously there. I have seen it every morning I have gone to work for the last eleven years. My Dad must have been sure p.o.'d at me. I don't have the heart to sell it to someone else. Around here it would become a wood hauler and last about two weeks. I used it this morning to go fishing.

John

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    well i wish i could tell you about my 67 international campermobile, but truth be told she was a fine truck that fell victim to teenage stupidity. i also wish i had a pic of the 66 ford custom 500, but dad ended up taking it from me b4 i could ruin it too. that really only leaves one true p.o.s. my 77 ford thunderbird. smoke isnt the right word to describe what this car did. i put about a full quart of oil in every day more leaks than i can mention. more often than not you had to make sure to overspray the old screen porch door spring that held the throttle cable together when you were spraying starter fluid in. the old vacuum line head lights had long been a topic of discussion since they alternately worked from side to side. i was in the auto-body shop back in h. school at the time and decided to invest in some bondo and a few cans of grey primer. my shop teacher eventually banned the thunder duck from his shop b4 i could finnish. she ended up kinda like a rust and primer grey milk cow. of course, it was the only auto tranny i knew of that had to be driven like a standard 3 on the tree, good Lord forbid you should have to back up. im not sure what the original color of the interior was, as all i had was an old stained bed sheet held to the roof with some bronze bream hooks. and enuff ol beach towells to hide most of the padding in the seats. yeah i really hated that car. me and my bro's would leave for school 45 min. early and park across the street in the old abandoned k-mart parking lot.

but there was a jammin radio.. after you installed some d batteries.

j.d. sorry i burned all pic evidence

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    1965 Delta 88 2 door... LOVED THAT CAR.. Previous owner dubbed it the tuna wagon... had a 330 Rocket it in.. no Carpet, no headliner, no paint (had primer though), sat on pillows cause the seats were wore out and springs in the rump wasn't very comfy... Thing ran like a striped ape though....Was a sad sad day the engine gave up the ghost and I had to ship her off to the graveyard...

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've had my days with old clunkers. had to weld, duct tape, coat hanger it down the road
    feeding it oil and gas. built a few motors and made em tight for long lasting. I always been the kind to learn as I go. LOL.
    End of summer of 93 I bought a 94 Dodge, 318, half ton that had 2 tens of a mile on it. LOL.. still drive it today. I put all but maybe 10K miles on it. Son drove it a little and wife drove me a little. LOL.
    Everything works on it. Good AC.

its pushing around 170 K miles on it. I think I can get 300 K before I rebuild motor if no one but me drives it from now on. But if it gets to linking more than I can put in it, I'll park it. I just took a road trip to C. Texas.
    700 miles . One qt oil and a shot of Trans fl. plus a couple hundred in gas is all it took.
    Thank God for the road kill on the way or I would be hungry right bout now.:roll_eyes:

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Is it at least paid for:roll_eyes::wink:

10. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    All these stories had me just laughing my tail off...what's with all the wordsmiths around here? Do all catfishermen moonlight as writers or what???
    Makes me feel pretty inept. But as my dad says, speak from the heart and you can never go wrong.

My wife had a real beater when she was in high school -- she and her sisters dubbed it "The Monster". They lived about 10 blocks from school, but would park the car once they got about halfway there. :smile2: Granted, all this is coming secondhand -- I wasn't around then, but most of the facts have been verified by her family: They "THINK" it was a '78 Grand Marquis. It was (according to my wife) " brown" and the clearcoat was long gone. It had no fenders. Amenities? It had a front bench seat that was held up by a stick whose business end was buried into the backseat. When they didn't have time to let it warm up in the morning (to allow the additional 5 block trek on foot) they'd have to slip it in Neutral and gas the heck out of it to keep it from croaking.
    I was just checking these facts with my wife a second ago and she said that it also had a good sized hole in the floorboard. ;)

Funny, they never talk about how they got rid of it...my guess is that it may still be prowling the backroads of Iowa, looking for its' owner.

This was a good idea for a thread, Redd.

11. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    A beauty like that? It was payed for in cash, right on the spot! Seemed slightly ignorant to make payments with a price like that...lol

-Red

12. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    my "Beast" was a 78 plymoth volari(sp) that i bought when i lived in Mn. 175,000 miles on the original 225 slant six. luckily the car was maroon so most of the rust blended in, until the fenders got bad enough i had to duct tape them on to keep the spray off the windsheild. finaly decided to junk her when driving down the interstate the entire trunk pan gave lose and dropped off at 65.....lol.

13. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well red hears a post fer ya. i got a 1970 ford f100 pickup truck. its a faded puke kinda yellow, got the front seal going out on the transmission, aint got reverse half of the time, and the stereo system i put in the truck is worth more than the truck itself. im getting about 9 mpg on a good day. in the winter time ya gotta let it warm up for at least 30 minutes or it will die on ya. i could go on and on with more about "old yeller", but i think ive said enuff for the time being.