Clueless

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by stickusmc, Jul 9, 2007.

1. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    ok maybe im lost but what in the heck are bait clickers and where can i get one?

2. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bait clickers are a audibal device that are built into some reels that allow you to place the reel in free spool and engauge the bait clicker by sliding a button on the reel. With the bait clicker engauged and reel in free spool when a fish runs with your bait a clicking noise can be heard . Example of reels with bait clickers are abu 6500 , 7000 and penn 9 , 209 , 309.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Don't feel too special Chris. You ain't the first to ask about it. Ed summed it up real good. Its a feature I could not do with out. I hate starein at rods. LOL!

4. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    They are the way to go when you have several rods out! It can be a little confusing when you have a bunch of rods out to figure out which 1 had that real short run! LOL

5. hunters

hunters New Member

State:
    Texas
    It is a reel that makes one of the best sounds in the world.
    When it starts singing it party time.lol

6. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    so it is like turning the drag down on a spinning reel? or is it only with bait casters( not so fond of the bait casters dang backlash lol) thanks for the help

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn

Ya its kind of like that, but you do not have to tighten your drag to land the fish. All you have to do is put the reel back in gear. When you take the reel out of gear and turn on the klicker, it puts a little drag on the line. That drag can also be adjusted.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Baitclickers let u know when a fish is on.

9. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Its music to my ears

10. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    Dont feel bad brother. I never did like a baitcaster due to the backlash but once you get good with them there is no other way to go. The baitclickers are awesome too. You can be sitting out in the boat in the middle of the night about to fall asleep and one goes off.....dang, im getting all tore up about it. It's about like seeing a 10 pointer walk out of the woods (if you are a hunter). But anyway, if you can get the hang of a baitcaster, I would highly recommend. Have a good one and good luck

11. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Okuma makes some bait feeder reels that are open face and you can disengauge the reels with a lever on the back but they are not as loud as a levelwinder with a bait clicker

12. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    baitcasters are the way to go you can also get a cheaper baitcaster at wal-mart shakespere for about 40 dollars ive got one and its been good to me its lasted 9 years havent caught nothing real big with it. the biggist one is on my avatar pic. but once you get used to it its great

13. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I have one of the Okuma spinning bait clickers. Its a smooth reel, but the clicker is VERY quiet. I have a hard time hearing it on a windy day of if there is a lot of other noise.

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, I don't free spool mine, though. I run circle hooks so I usually back off the drag so a decent fish can run the clicker but there's enough resistance to set the circle. Also fish a lot of current and nothing is more aggravating than being woken up at 3AM by what sounds like a fish the size of a freight train trying to smooth off the teeth of the clicker gear only to find out it's a Wal-Mart bag or stick the current's working against your line....

15. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    yep the 309 is a really loud one. makes a loud click noise when the bad boys take ur bait and run.......i believe i have a audble on mp3 , pm me and i will send it to ya and to anyone else for that matter who would like it

16. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Don't feel bad i didnt know what one was either til a year or two ago

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    How are the Penn reels? I've heard good things about them, but I run Abu-Garcia's because of the higher gear ratio (in the MO river current I want them in as quick as I can)

18. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Baitcasters are cat fishermans best friend once you learn how to use them. Go buy one and go to the pond or somewhere away from trees and people and give it heck for several hours you'll get or you'll quit fishin.

19. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    thanks yall i used a baitcaster a few times but i spent more time pickin out the rats nest than i did fishing i bought a spinning reel that has a pretty loud drag i hope it works

thanks again

20. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have several older penn that are built like a tank and are simple to maintain. I just bought a penn 220 gto this year but havn't used it enough to decide whiether I like it as good as my older penn's