clouds and skip jack

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by o'boro cat hunter, Mar 6, 2008.

1. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    can you catch skip jack on cloudy cold days at cumberland city

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nope they don't bite on cloudy days, in that case just go back to good shad for bait which I am sure they have in kentucky.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thats funny the most skipps we ever caught came on about a 35degree day with rain.... hit the little gas station at the corner and get some of the 1/16th ounce silver spoons... run 2 jigs with a spoon on the end and i bet you catch them...

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind

is there a problem with us coming down there or what

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: lets go catch em in the snow bill!!! that will show them!!

6. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    So it's you guys who've been depleting the skipjack population! We'll have to put up a border patrol. :smile2:

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    now i see how it is!!!!!! border patrol huh... :big_smile:

8. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    hey aaron if ever you wanna go back down let me know id be more then happy to ride down with you an then maybe you can come home with 300 of them like the last time we went down

9. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It may be just me, but I caught a cooler full of "bigguns" last winter on cloudy, windy days!:eek:oooh:I think if the shad are in there, the skips will be there.:big_smile:

10. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Its about time someone bringing this up about people coming down to catch 300 skipjack . so thats why i and a few others have been working with the twra on setting a limit on them you know my son likes fishing too so if this doesnt stop then i guess ill stop fishing. i mean everyone has a right to catch skippies but alot of people abuse them and if it doesnt stop then there want be none for future fishermen so me and a real good friend are pushing for 50 per person per day thanks cumberland cat I agree with u

11. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    U guys can come up here in the summer and get some of are skip and we dont care how many u catch up here on the ohio. IM starting to think that cumberland cat is a sore fisherman. I come down and caught 300 and he got mad and pm me and said if he see me on the river down there he will sink my boat. Well he will have to wait a few year till i run out lol. To many skip in the world to get hurt my rod and reel.

12. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen

That's pretty low. I say we go catch some Tennessee skippies!

13. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'm ready for another trip! Maybe I'll bring a tent, pack my own Missouri-bought food and just keep my money in Missouri. I hear Kentucky has skips too!:wink: And its closer than Tennessee! If I fill up my gas tank in Kentucky, I won't have to buy any Tennessee gas either!

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

Doug, Skip, when we leaving? I'm ready!! I love a good challenge! :wink:

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey Rat........ you think they might beat us up down there? I'll stand behind you in case some of 'em try to attack the flank!:smile2:

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    !!!!!!!!!! man are you serious??? he threatened to sink your boat if he seen you down there catching skipjack again........!! i would bring it to the attention of paul or dh that he is making threats via pms on here ... and then swing through evansville and pick me up so we can go catch skipjack at cumberland city out of my boat.. i have great insurance on it and would love to see it go down titanic style.... what the hell are these guys thinking down there??

17. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    the skips arent running too good here in east tn yet ,but when they do i'll let ya know ,....love to have you guys down here :tounge_out: heck...i'll help ya catch all the skips we can and maybe even carry your cooler to the truck for ya if the ole back would hold out :wink:......even buy ya supper :wink:....thats pretty bad making threats to a man about sinking his boat and stuff:confused2: ......kid stuff.....c'mone down to my neck of the woods ...everyone is welcome....or let me know when you guys wanna fish cumberland city .....i'll drive down and help catch the skips too,,,i aint skeered .........lmao :smile2:

18. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    It was not a PM, it was right in the public forum that he said that, so I hardly think he was serious. It's like one of those passing/joking comments just to say "take it easy on the skipjack", but you guys are just running with this as far as you can. I thought everybody was melowed out until blazer went and said he was being threatened via PM's. Just go back and review the posts by him and you'll see where c-cat said that. Do you guys actually thinking he'd seriously threaten someone with violence in a public forum??

This reminds me of mudslinging in politics and how people take things out of contexts and try to make a big production out of it. I DO think the moderators need to step in and just shut this thread down, and if you guys want to go on hating TN folks thinking we're all against you or something then talk about it in your own state's part of the website. I like to think we're all friends on this website, but all this is really getting on my nerves. Let it go! :roll_eyes:

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have read all of the posts in this thread and have come to a couple of conclusions:
    1. Never post how many skips you got when you get some.
    2. Some folks need to get a sense of humor, LOL!!!
    3. People need to realize when people a pulling their chains.
    4. I also found out just how welcome we are when we go down there!!!

All I can say is you ain't gonna hurt the Skipjack population catching them with a rod and reel.
    I go down there till I get enough to last me thruogh the year when bait is hard to find up here!!! I have mine now and have no need to return till next winter to get more!!! I made 3 trips down there and only one of them were actually successful, I now have 240 in the freezer.

20. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I tell ya, I have made several trips to Cumberland City. And I am proud to say that I have caught several hundred skips while I was there. Just about every trip I purchased my fishing licence at the Busy Bee's and not once did they complain about me fishing for skips because I was from out-of-state. I went with a friend of mine early last year on a guided fishing trip and the fishing guide got mad when he was talking about people coming down to catch "HIS" skips. I will never fish with him again! And since when did skipjacks get put on the "endangered species" list??? I thought there was enough to go around. I know this past year they were very plentiful here on the Ohio river. I filled my deep-freeze with about 1000 skips. (between Wolfman and I) And still went to Cumberland City to catch skips!!! If I didn't have plans for tomorrow I would go just to piss you guys off that don't want us down there!