Clothes Preparation for Specialized Hunting.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    For you deer hunters, turkey hunters and etc. Do you take special steps to remove scents from your clothes? Tell us about it./B]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hang em in a hoghouse overnight.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I mainly work the wind currents and not worry too much about my own scent. More than half the deer I have killed were while I had a cigarette in my mouth. I just figure where the wind is blowing and use a blind I know will cover me from that direction of wind.

I do like to step in a fresh cow patty on the way to the ground blind. I believe it covers my scent moving through the woods or pastures before daylight. Not recommended for you tree standers. Deer pick up real quick that cattle aren't supposed to be in trees.:wink:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Don't do anything special here,I hunt the wind most of the time. Deer here are seemingly used to some human scent,so it isn't a big deal,unless ya got cologne on or need a bath real bad.

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I only use scent free soap during the hunting seasons. I wash all my scent blocker clothes in scent killer soap. I run my dryer with the scent killer fabric sheets twice before i put the clothes in there then i take them out and spray them with scent killer spray and hang them in a tree to dry. Then I put then in a scent lok bag and dont put them on until i am where i am about to walk into the woods. I am very anal about scent. Will always wake up early and take a shower. Thats just the jist of it.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Andrew, I used to do all those things. Then I realized that it was all for naught because the night before we sat around the fire, drinking beer & eating chili.:wink:

7. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Back when I bow hunted I did all of those things too.I even went meatless a week before season started.When I quit bowhunting,I stopped all that stuff.Now all I have to do is to move buttons over so I can button my coat.
    smokey

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It's a wonder the world didn't starve to death long before these companies figured out that deer hunters were some of the biggest suckers on the planet, and a close second to only fishermen.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    But, but, but Mark, we gots to have our toy's! Right? Hell, I spend $400-600 every year on new hunting toy's. First though, I got to make room by getting rid of just as much stuff that I had bought over the years. 90% of the stuff turns out to be junk, but that 10% keeps me coming back. In the last two years, I gave away 4 tree stands & 3 ground blinds alone. Last year I cleaned out at least 4 complete camo outfits, none of which were junk. They were nice waterproof, top $$ outfits. I just got tired of having so many to choose from and having to pack them. (This was to make room for my new snow camo outfit. LOL)

Come to think about it, I do almost the exact same $$ every year with catfishing stuff.:wink:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I used to dear hunt, I keep my clothes hanging outside in the garage for long periods before use. I would take doe scent and place on rags and tie them to my boots when I walked into the blind. My son in law goes to extremes on preparation. He kills lot of deer and many large bucks. So I can't argue with his plans.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Shot too many deer flying home from work and jumping in a treestand wearing a work uniform to get real wound up about getting all technical about something real simple.

KISS = Keep it Simple Stupid.

There is an old addage that holds true.
    When a deer sees a hunter in the woods he thinks it's a stump.
    When a turkey sees a stump in the woods he thinks it's a hunter.