closest catfish ponds and rivers?

Discussion in 'NEW MEXICO RIVER TALK' started by whiskerchaser, Jun 9, 2009.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I live in Raton NM, its in the northwest region of new mexico, the colorado border is 15 minutes away id prefer a lake that is a 30-45 minute drive away at most, lately I have fished stubblefield lake no bites, springer lake no bites just caught one nice pike, trinidad lake caught a 18" channel and 26" channel on liver and worms. And the canadian river with my only luck being catching a bluegill. So are there any catfish holding waters other than those listed above around my town?

2. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    James, The Rio Grande over by Chama and The Gila River by Silver City are the only places I personally have caught cats. Elephant Butte Reservoir by Truth or Consequences also has them. Other than that, I have no idea.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    James,I was going to suggest Stubblefield,but you tried it already,Hmm thats where the state record Channel was caught. Clayton lake is in your area ,But quite a drive ,and then here at UTE, where I'm from.

4. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    ya ive been to stubblefield quite a bit with not even a bite, ive tried liver, DK's stink bait, worms, cut bait, frog legs, dough, lures. I leave each one for about 30 minutes except the stink bait.