Closer to 2020

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Trophy Flathead Hunter, Dec 19, 2019.

1. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    The the river gets it's act together, we will try it again. This coming week sure looks good and the river has already started down and should drop off fast.

Winter time fishing is supposed to be the time for big fish but I think it is also the time for more skunks than normal.

2. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    It was fun getting with the guys today even though plans didn't go quite accordingly, we still made the most of it though! Good fishing with you on your boat Dan, I had fun being out there. So peaceful and quite, even with that one guy that was out there yelling haha! We will gettem next time!

eastforker, typer181 and Jesus Saves like this.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You guys may not have caught fish but that certainly was not from a lack of effort so props for trying. Fish do have a knack for keeping a guy humble.

Jon, If you haven't got that blue by the time I go out next, I'll be glad to take you along..... heck I'll take you even if you have got one. It may not be before year's end but maybe we can kickstart your 2020 in the right way.

...W

4. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Hey thanks Winston, sounds good to me just let me know! Tom has tried to put me on them at least a couple of times now but I never got one hooked. I will eventually get one, just a matter of time. I am patient.

Jesus Saves likes this.
  5. sjble66

sjble66 Active Member

State:
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Name:
    Steve
    Tom, good you made right decision, maybe later this week. I will b fishing cannelton ( horseshoe bend area) all next year, hopefully see you out on river , ,,,,,or maybe golf course, when river up

6. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Alright here we go again, I'm set up on the white river this morning in a new to me spot farther south then I usually go. I'm focusing on a big bend where there should be a big hole. Got good current and pretty deep water for the white. I have day old bluegill and CBMIGP out at the moment. Going to try and catch some fresh bait now. Ill keep yall posted.

BBBRRRRR!

7. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    I like the warmer air temps the fish seem to move around and actually bite better.
    In the cold I need a little more nudge to get out there.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  8. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Any luck yet Jon?

9. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Nope not yet. No bait either. The first spot I was at I got checked by DNR. Poor guy about fell on his butt trying to get to me. I told him I about ate it too. I explained to him I was after a blue, he said he has seen a few but only in summer.

Moved to another big bend with a huge hole. Made perfect timing, a local was stopping to fish too. We talked for a few minutes, got some good info off of him. He said they've caught blues and flats year round in this spot. Interesting.

This spot is rough though, walked down an extremely slanted riprap bank to get to it. Going back will be fun. Definitely a great flathead spot. I want to stay out all day again but have a few things to do around the house still.

I will give it alittle longer then I need to go.

Here blue kitty kitty kitty...

treddinwater likes this.
  10. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Ohio River had dropped more than 3 feet since you saw it last.

11. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Need some frozen skip,,,,,,,delivered?

12. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Not sure how it is in Hoosier Land but over here in IL. the weather is perfect, hoping you have the same and today is the day for your first Blue.

13. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Thanks Tom but I just got back home. Stayed longer then I planned but it was worth it. Actually did alittle scouting on a few spots on my way back. One spot was one of the spots the guy was telling me about. He said he hasn't been there in awhile but was a good spot in the past. Well I go check it out on my way home and there is private property and no trespassing signs everywhere. Then 2 big pitbulls came up on my truck. They looked friendly but I decided to stay inside of my truck and just leave. I wasn't going to find out! The other spot he told me about was opposite direction so I will check it out another time.

Then after that I stopped and looked at 2 spots in gosport. One was the boat ramp and the other is just a public access point. Both looked nice. There was a local fishing there as well and I talked with him briefly. If anyone is familiar with gosport area message me, I have a question about the boat ramp area.

I passed by McCormick's creek state park and realized it butts up against the river. Anyone know if you can access the river from inside the park?

I wanted to stop at that baitshop (catfish porters) on 67 before you get to 3 rivers area and pick that guys brain some but needed to get home.

All this scouting has got me motivated to get my boat in excellent running condition and do some real scouting. I love bank fishing but I'm starting to really realize how much of a better chance I will have to really get on some fish if I'm in a boat. I will worry about that come spring time.

Well next weekend is it, blue cat or bust! Tom if you or anyone is going to try Ohio river again keep me in mind please! If not I'm going to hit the white and maybe wabash hard. I'm just not familiar with the wabash, only been once. But I know there are blues in it.

Aright time to wrap it up,I need a shower! As always, it was amazing being out!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    treddinwater and metalman like this.
  14. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    So far next weekend looks like Rain, rain and a little more rain. But we are still a week away so I will be watching. If we can get to the blue water (pun) we will.

15. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Well I just realized I have my work schedule wrong, I work this weekend so I can't go...:(

However I am off Wednesday,Thursday, and Friday:cool:

Maybe I can find a babysitter for a few hours so I can continue the pursuit of the blue cat...:coffee:

Lets see what kind of tricks I can pull out my hat:ninja:

16. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Actually Jon, you may have lucked out there. Those days are supposed to e the best days we have seen in a while. Temps between 50 and 60, partly cloudy to cloudy and winds out of the Southwest. I am hoping the forecast wind speed does not go up since they are calling for about 10 mph winds.

Now compare that to the weekend where they are calling for rain both days and I think you will see the advantage.

Still watching the weather closely and keeping a close eye on the water level which has dropped 5 feet in just over a day. It will be important to know how quickly the debris gets cleared from the water.

It all still hinges on a few things falling into place but, it is still on track.

17. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    The big river is back down to normal pool, 13 feet. Now a day or three for the debris to clear out and it will be fishing time again.

Dan, if your watching, what is your schedule like during this week. Any chance on going?

Thursday, (day after Christmas) Cloudy, 62 degree high coming off of a 48 degree night temperature. And the day time highs in prior days was 62*, 59* and 62* with two of those days sunny. Wind out of the SW at about 10. I am thinking that has to get the cats moving since the water will be warming.

Any thought.

eastforker likes this.
  18. Jesus Saves

Jesus Saves Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    Yea I’ve been watching it and thanks but Im going to need to work...
    If your going to Louisville I’ll have to send you the exact location of where I was talking.
    You’ll find it no problems

19. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    That would be helpful Dan if you can't join us.

20. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    A real good time for a fisherman.
    Not sure what the fish think being this warm in December.
    I'm sure the fish will be hungry and searching for food close to where they been holed up.