Closer to 2020

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Trophy Flathead Hunter, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Ok guys for those of you that keep up with me you know I have been trying to catch my first blue cat this year. I've been blessed with my PB channel and flathead this year so if I get that blue it will be a PB trifecta!

I'm going to try and hit the river this weekend in search of that blue. I have bluegill, I am going to try and pull out a few creek chubs if possible and maybe try throwing my net for shad ( even though I feel that might not work, I'm guessing they are too deep for me to get from shore.) Might even do some of that CMIGP.

Now I have a couple spots in mind. One spot I THINK has a hot water discharge but last time I was there it didn't seem like it was happening.

Was wandering if anyone knew for sure of any hot water discharges in the White river that they would be willing to share with me? I would appreciate any info shared. If you don't want to share with the world then send me a PM please.

My thinking is the blues won't be far from the warmer water.

2. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Hi Jon, Good to hear your still working on that third PB (a trifecta) for the year.

I just have one question. When you bust the ice on that lake so your net will sink, does it spook the shad before the net can get down to them? lol

Tom

3. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Oh shoot your right hahaha:O_o:

Now I feel dumb for saying that, forgot we are iced over! :roflmao:

....so what I meant to say is I will be looking for any dead shad, hopefully it was cold enough there was a small kill off! :cool1:

Jesus Saves and prlwng like this.
  4. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Haha, I did pretty much the same thing the day before.

eastforker and Brackish*Water like this.
  5. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    I wish you luck finding that big blue but that is all I can offer as I have no knowledge of the White. I do know the Wabash holds blues around the Griffin, In. area but not sure about up river from there. Hope you score before 01-01-20.

6. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Thanks Jay, I will be happy with a dink to be honest. I know the farther south I go the better my chances are. Just not sure how much time I will have. The spots I'm thinking about trying do have blues (seen pictures) but not alot.

Brackish*Water likes this.
  7. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    I haven't caught that first blue yet either.
    Keeping bait out is the only way I know to find out for sure.
    Keep warm and be safe and keep at it Jon.

8. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I'm thinking about kidnapping Jon and hauling him to the Ohio River so he will have his best chance to find a Blue cat. If course he will need to get a kitchen pass. I have not been to the area we are heading to (going with Dan (Jesus Saves). He has fished an area up river from where I have gone.

My section is on the rise and is about 20 feet above what it was a week ago and still rising. That is close to 30 ft above low pool.

Since they protect Louisville more, it is only up about 7 feet or so. Since they are letting so much water thru the Louisville pool and into my normal pool there should be some good current.

9. mooseman75

mooseman75 Well-Known Member

State:
    Utah
    Name:
    Justin
    Tom best of luck to you in your trek and be safe don't forget the isotoners.

Jon best of luck in you endeavors to catch that blue I hope you can get it.

10. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Thanks Stacee and Justin.

Tom you don't have to kidnap the willing! And I don't need that kitchen pass, she knows how much this goal (and catfishing in general) means to me. I told her when we first got together I have a catfishing obsession! She is good with it, she's a great catch!

Jus PM me details Tom.

eastforker likes this.
  11. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
  12. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I'm just kidding about the kitchen pass. Us old guys got to keep picking at you youngsters though.

13. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    I'm okay with that, keeps me on my toes.

Now I do work in a kitchen so I have a stack of those passes your speaking of...:cool:

14. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
  15. treddinwater

treddinwater Well-Known Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Name:
    Rick
    Good luck to you Jon! I hope you're able to get a blue! I know of two discharges, one you need a boat or kayak to get to, the other is easy to get to and is one of my walleye spots. But both are between downtown and the dam in Martinsville so there are virtually no blue cats in that stretch and they're not technically "warm water discharges." However, the water that comes from these places is typically warmer, just not 60+ degrees.

16. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Thanks for the info Rick. Sounds like your familiar with the place I was referring to. I had just thought of another possibility but it would also need a boat to get to. I've seen two different pictures of blues from areas where I always thought there wasn't any blues. Before I saw proof I had always been told about blues being caught in these areas but I just assumed they were fish stories or guys catching big male channels that are spawning, that look blue. But the pictures I saw are for sure blues.

treddinwater and typer181 like this.
  17. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Good luck Jon, and the rest of the Hoosier cat crew! Stay warm and be super safe.

18. sjble66

sjble66 Active Member

State:
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Name:
    Steve

"good current", the big O is only few feet from flood stage, lower mcalpine sitting at 49', with pool being in low 20s, yes, there will be good current. Be safe if you venture out, i may try next week when river recedes 15', more in my comfort zone.

19. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I didn't realize the river was so high. Just to let you fellas know, I choose not to fish the river when McAlpine Lower is greater than 25ft. It's double that right now. There will be a LOT of current, and a lot of debris in the river. Be prepared to go up into the feeder creeks to fish.

20. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Yes, I am the same Eric. I wanted to try a deep hole below McAlpine but when I saw the water level was so high, I knew that would not be a good idea. A Level of 25 which is still 12 feet over low pool is about my limit also.

I have definitely noticed that above McAlpine is always kept closer to normal pool. I am guessing that don't want Louisville flooded so that pass most of the water on to the Cannelton pool.

Just above McAlpine the river level is only about 8 feet over normal pool and has been on a gradual rise for a week and is only about 8 feet above normal pool.

By far the safer of the two choices. Still I expect there will be a little extra current and some debris. I am just hoping not a lot.

mlxk2_hg.png

Any additional thoughts?