Closed Face Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bwhupp, Dec 24, 2007.

1. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    My dad is a stubborn man.

He wants a closed face reel and does not want to learn baitcasters. He said "If you give me one of those, I will throw the dam thing in the water." Birdsnests and him don't go hand in hand.

I need a closed faced reel that can handle the big cats. I had him made a custom rod from Black and Blue for Christmas.. and he wants a closed faced reel to put on it. :eek:oooh:

Any suggestions?

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    ZEBCO 808 MAGNUM?

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm a closed face kinda guy myself. What I use is the Rhino RSC5. They are the most durable and smoothest reel I have found. Better yet they aren't that exspensive in comparison to a good bait caster.
    I use braid on mine, it allows for more feet of heavy weight line.
    If you go the Rhino route you won't ever have to buy another reel, it will out last many rods.

http://www.rhinofishing.com/RSC.html

4. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    808's are junk. Been there done that.

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Thanks for the advice.. I will look into it!

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Stubborn????!!!!

I don't think he is stubborn at all, I think he is just very comfortable with them. One should always fish with what ever He/She has confidence in. You can advise people all day long but, in the end, it is their decsision on what they fish with.

PS. My dad would dissown me if I got him a spincast reel, LOL!!!

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian I will be your dad for a day. Send me a new rod with any reel you choose. I've sent you a PM.:smile2:

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I guess it comes down to what is a big cat in his mind?

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    JW thats a low blow lol:

10. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Brian check out the ABU closed face reels. They seem pretty good also. I know my brother has one and it does really good.

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Got my wife a Zebco 733 Hawg, works great, holds enough 20lb test, and casts surprisingly far.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When you say closed face ...are you talking about a push button? I dont have much knowledge with them.

13. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    hey brian i just found these daiwa reels on ebay got my neighbors wife one for christmas, looks and feels great they are called BIG DAIWA GOLD D-TURBO, have 4 or 5 ball bearings and hold a respctable amount of line, im not sure how big they make them but one i got her holds 120 yrd 12 pound test just an idea you might check out

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    the shakespere synergy reels are good.I bought one and have landed several 10 pounders with it it did reel well.

15. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    Sounds just like my dad. Got to be a push button. He has an old 808 and I got a rod for him last year with about a 6 in straight handle and he still complained about the handle being too long. I am talking about a bass rod. Since he actually went fishing a couple of time last year I decided to get him a brand new outfit. Got a pistol grip rod and I ordered the Abu Matic 1076. This is the next to the largest spincast that abu makes. Seems like a good reel but the drag setup is way too touchy. It holds 135yds 12# line so wouldn't want to go after the real bigguns.

16. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I'd probably second the Rhino. I hate spincasters personally but my dad is the same. His newest rod is 30 years old and all his reels are old Johnson centuries and citations. He fusses all the time about my spinning/baitcasters and talks about how his rods are so much more sensitive. but they are so flimsy if the wind blows it's like having a 30lb fish on one of my medium rods.

17. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I have 4 of the Shakespear Synergy 15's loaded up with 15 lb Big Game line. I set these up for guests to use for punch bait fishing. We've landed blues up to 20 lbs on them and only lost one fish that we couldn't turn. My last count was about 700 cats caught on these 4 reels since May. I was quite suprised that a $9 reel would hold up so well. They are not the smoothest reeling spincast reels, but we don't do a lot of reeling except to bring fish in. They make a Synergy 20, but I didn't like the location of the anti-revers lever on top. Seemed like it was be too easy to get knocked around in the heat of a good bite.

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have closely at some the rhinos and must say they are pretty nice, and priced right. Can always get a zebco.

19. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Dave's got it right - the RSC5 is the best closed face out there:big_smile:

20. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I bought the wife a salt water series synergy by shake spear I think and she does a pretty good job hauling in those eaters with it. It has the power handle on it also so this helps.