Closed-face push button

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by WaltonsMountain, Sep 8, 2009.

1. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Id like to hear some recommendations on a good closed-face push button reel for the wife. This is her favorite type of reel and will have nothing to do with spinning or baitcast. My buget is around the $50 range. Id like to grab her a decent one that will hold up. Any suggestions? All help is much appreciated....

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If its for general use... cant go wrong with a zebco 33. If it is for cat fishing then I would go with a bigger zebco reel. Wally World sells combo that would work.

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I LOVE THE 808 BUT NOT FOR OVER A YEAR LOL

4. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks, it will be mainly for catfishing. Also, do push button go on spin rods or baitcasting rods? (I would imagine baitcasting since they're usually on top of the reel)

5. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    if you can find a good used green metal top johnson sabra on fleabay , they are good and can handle a fairly large fish.The old garcia abumatic are also a fine spincaster and I think they still make them.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Consider a zebco 808 or 888. They work on a casting rod and carry heavy line for catfishing.

7. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    OK the super best ever closed face reel I swear by is drum roll please...................
    Is a rhino reel on a ugly stick.

I have tried every closed reel I can think of took back several
    Zebcos 808
    33 classic because to me guess i fish often and are rough on things gears striped the pegs were plastic and the line wore groves in it and misc things went wrong....
    Then I found this mighty rough and tough reel. I mean I have droped the rod and reel down a 40 foot rock dam inbankment and it took it like a champ. Also I have used 30 pound test on it and it stands strong with 8 oz of weight. I have used this reel and rod combo and baited fished and ended up with a ten pound cat on the line. Took it all. Even pulled in hubby's rod and reel with a fish on it and this baby took it

8. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    the bottom one

Attached Files:

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    there are actually some push button reels that are spinning, they have a trigger on them that pulls back the bail and holds the line until you release the trigger. from there it acts just like a regular spinning reel. maybe something to think about if you want to mover her up to a spinning outfit. which if she is going to fish a lot with you, i would def be pushing her in that direction.

10. Soonerfan

Soonerfan Member

State:
    Guthrie Ok
    my wife likes the zebco pro staff 888

11. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I like my Zebco Hawgseeker spincast. I almost never use the bait alarm. I don't know how long it will last, but I use it almost every trip out. That would fit under the budget. I also have a Shimano Solstace 4000 spinning reel with the casting trigger and the rear "fighting drag" that I paired with a medium action Ugly Stik, that is my favorite combo, but the reel alone ran $50.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think I would get her an abu garcia spincsting reel, the abumatic...They come in several sizes, and I do believe they will out last a zebco...You can get one for around 40 bucks.

13. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    my neighbor who is in his late 80's now swears by zebco 33, all he's ever used just gotta find some earlier ones made of all metal, i see some on ebay at times and they arent all that hard to rebuild

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Diawa used to offer a larger spin casting reel in the "gold" series,I used one for years,I thinkI had 20 lb line on mine.

15. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Can't go wrong with a Zebco 808. I use one all the time. Works great and I have 40 lb line on it.

I have seen some others at Wal-Mart, but never use them or actually tried them out so I can't comment on the hawgseeker or any other.

I do use a Zebco 404, and it is also great.

16. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    You should get her a zebco 808 or a 888 reel on a 7 foot ugly stick casting rod . Walmart used to have a rhino rod combo with a 733 on it that could handle catfishing . I wouldnt go smaller then that . Me I would go with the 808 on a 7 ft. ugly . If I was going with a spincast reel .

17. sneezer

sneezer New Member

State:
    pa.
    What she said...but watch it.. they have cheapened up the 2's and 3's this year. The older ones are 4 bearing with metal covers the new ones are 3 bearing with plastic covers

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use a shakespere synergy rod and reel for using dip bait and it works well for me.ive had it a long time,it came as a combo but i think you can buy them separately.it came spooled with 20#test but i took it off and put my own favorite line on it.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've always been an Abu Garcia man, ALL my baitcasters are Abu Garcia. I decided to try an Abu Garcia spincast reel. I got the 1076 model. I must say I was VERY DISAPPOINTED in it. Really a pretty shabby reel. So, I bought a Zebco Rhino reel, the smaller one, for baitfishin'. It works like a CHARM, smooth as silk. Now, I won as a door prize the Zebco Rhino RSC5, which is the larger version of the Rhino. It is BRAND NEW. I took it out of the plastic just to look it over. It should be perfect for channels and such. Catfish Connection sells it for $37.16 + shipping. If you want mine, I'll take $25 + actual shipping from 29512. I'll be at the Santee until Sunday, but if you want it, PM me and I'll get it boxed up and shipped out to ya pronto. A postal money order will be the preferred payment.

Bill in SC

20. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    My wife uses the rhino with ugly stik. It comes in two different sizes, the smaller one she uses for channels and the bigger one for bigger cats. The only drawback I have with them is they can't handle alot of weight. Three ounces tops with the bigger one. Other than that they are well made reels and have decent drags, she has been using them for three years now.