Close calls with barge

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by mlohre, Jul 12, 2006.

1. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    i was fishing the up river side of the markland dam on night last year and almost ran over by a barge. i was fishing the lower end of some tie off when i noticed a barg coming down river. i didn't think much about it untill it hit the firat tie off and started braeking apart. there was a boat on the second tie off and i thought they were ran over by the barg. i found out later they got out of the way and they thought i was ran over and killed. they said they called 911. it was pritty scarery. most of the barg when between the bank and the tie off and a emply one hit the tie off i was fishing below. thank god that tie off held so i could get out of there.

2. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I'm glad you all were OK Mike.
    You got lucky.

I've been around a lot of barge traffic on the Illinois River here in Illinois. I know they deserve all the respect and space you can give them.

I found a pretty good link that explains "The law of Gross Tonnage" and gives some really good advice.

It might do us all good to read this and get a refresher. Better to learn here then on the river.

Take a look:
    http://www.auxguidanceskills.info/press/bigger.html
    _

3. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Glad you where ok.I always try to stay out of there way.But you have to watch like a hawk at night.They are silent killing machines.And they don`t have the moveability that smaller crafts do.Everyone stay alert out there and you`ll be fine.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Glad your okay bub, Got to be extra carefull out there on them rivers that have commercial traffic...But you guy are right, half the time you dont know the barge is there until it is right up on you..I try to anchor up where i KNOW im out of there way

5. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    that was a good wed sit. by the way it reads if you are on the river anywhere they have the right of way. imay have to start fishing the banks and hope they dont run me over there. HA HA

6. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    Dang!

Glad no one got hurt, or worse.