Close call with tree stand

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by The Out-Fisherman, Oct 14, 2005.

1. The Out-Fisherman

The Out-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Charleston, SC
    I recently had a close call with my self-climbing tree stand that I'd like to share. I went out on Wednesday afternoon for an evening hunt...I set up on a good pine tree, about 15 feet up. The climb up was successful and safe - however, I was unhappy with the way the bottom platform was positioned. I was seated in the top part at the time, so I reached over the side to move the platform. When I lifted my feet to shift it, the bottom platform fell! Fortunately, I had a rope tied between the seat and the bottom part, so it fell down the tree about 3 feet or so - but I had a heck-of-a-time trying to pull it back up the tree and get my feet back under it - all while hanging on to the top part, as well as my rifle! When I finally got it back up, I had to take a break to thank the Lord!

Be careful out there, guys!

2. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    boy that would have been rough trying to get back down the tree

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    It was fortunate you were wearing a safety strap,you were wearing one ,right?

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Greg, I have a piece of 550 parachute cord tied to each side of my climber. They are centered so the bottom half is balanced and just long enough so that it climbs good. I've knocked it loose on purpose before(From about 5 foot up) and it'll only fall a few inches. When the cords are fully tightened I can still stand on the bottom and pull it up like when climbing. Works great for me.

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I had a friend to fall asleep in one of those lean-to type stands several years ago. well, the law said he must have fell asleep. He was found a day later under his stand with a broken neck. All you hunters please ware you safety harness.

6. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    when i got my first climber the time i used it the bottom fell right out from underneath me when i took my weight off it, so now here i am sitting 20 feet up this cypress tree with no way down but luckily a buddy of mine had to pass by me on the way out to give me a hand.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Funny this subject should come up but before each holiday week-end the USMC generally conducts a mandatory safety briefing for all hands.I try and cover the obvious things like of the 1900 battle deaths in Iraq 400 of them had nothing to do with combat,all of our battle casulties in all our wars don't come close to the highway death toll since 1950 etc.I also work in a seasonal pitch and just before this last 96 I covered hunting.Our hunting deaths due to firearms have gone steadily down due to hunter safety classes and better firearms training and awareness.What is going up is deaths from falling out of tree stands and from ATVs.Also remember that when you go hunting you are entering the most dangerous combat zones in the history of our nation.OUR HIGWAYS!!!!!! Be Safe.As Votaire said " Alas common sense proved not to be so common after all"

8. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I am a firm believer in a saftey strap. Tie yourself in! If you have a permanant stand built, make sure you check the condition prior to opening day. Don't think it will be ok from last year.

9. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    As a member of the construction industry(again) I have a question for you hunters who may not(and hopefully never will) just what a "safety strap" is.
    Is this some litle belt thing you wear around your waist? Have you ever tried it ina controlled enviroment?
    In construction, we have to use what is called a body harness. it has straps around the waist,around the legs, as well as up and over the shoulder.The connection is high in the center of the back.
    I demonstarted this harness years ago as a saftey officer. Those of you with parachute training will know what I'm talking about. Check out your "saftey belts" to see just how safe they are. Look for load rating and use that to see if it's right for you. if you'd feel better, go to your local equipment retal place, they sell real fall pertection harnesses. trust me, if you fall with one of these, you'd better have the legs straps tight,sinched up into your groin area.That is , if you wish to remain a man,because if they're loose, you might be too afterwards.

10. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    There are mainly three different types a safety straps. The single strap that goes around your chest. The upper chest with shoulder straps and chest strap. The last a full body harness with straps over the chest and between the legs. All tree stands I believe come with one of these three types. Many higher dollar stands and climbers have full body harnesses. I didn't like the full harness that much until two years ago when I feel asleep in the treestand and woke up hanging off the side of the tree. :eek: What lots of hunters end up doing is not putting the safety strap that's attached to the tree high enough. You want to fall as little as possible if you do fall.

11. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    What I and "catfishcentral" also forgot to mention was, use a "bungie" type restrainght strap. It's either stiched together and breaks stiches as weight is applied or is similar to a seat belt retractor, friction catching. they will save your a@# as well as your life.
    Be safe bros
    Keith