Clinton

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by goingfishin, Mar 8, 2009.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Went to Clinton Lake and did good on the eater. That lake has me so confused. I am going to fish Clinton untell I figure it out. It just has so many small fish its unreal. I wonder if there is just so many small fish that they get to your bait before the bigger ones can. Anyone have alot of time on Clinton?

2. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Try this on for size CJ, caught a ten fish limit this morning on Secret 7.......................ready for this..................18lb. total weight:crazy::smile2::crazy::eek:oooh:. Now don't get me wrong that is my favorite size catfish to clean, eat, and cook, but other than the occasional 10lber that's about it. Moving water will get the average up, but it would take me a month of Sundays to get a 40lb-5 fish haul with out incoming water:sad2:.

I'm going to try power drifting smaller "pocket" flats and see if that produces a better fish...........not holding my breath on that one.

3. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Check out the fishing forecast on the KDWP website..........Clinton has about twice as many fish in the 16-24" range as any other reservoir in the report. It's eater fish mecca!!!

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Troy, I caught my limit in about 3 hours in Coon creek proper. The rain has the creek flowing and the cat's are on the feed. I parked at the Coon creek wetlands parking area and walked down the hill to the creek. Used my standard issue dipbait rig...........1/2 oz. sinker. half a looper and a 2/0 Gama wide gap finesse hook. This was my first use of Secret 7, it caught fish but didn't have anything else to compare it with.........not that it really matters, a limit of eaters is a limit of eaters. Best bite was about 4-8' off the bank, guessing I was fishing in 3-4' of water. Hope that helps.

5. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Thanks Charlie, I will try to get out there after a good rain.

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Way to go Charlie...I told you that stuff works.Wait until the water gets a little warmer.

I had a pretty good day myself just getting ready to post a report.

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Saw you did good Tom!!

Didn't feel like fighting boat today, Clinton was rough when I was there and I'm not ready to stink it up just yet:smile2:.

Sounds like a fellow needs to get his hands on some fresh shad:wink:.

8. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    A person should do ok tomorrow where the walki comes in to Clinton I went over camp creek and walki above the lake about 8 miles or so and the creeks are a runnin pretty good at 5:30 today.

9. topekacatman

topekacatman New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats on some nice fish, Charlie. Fished the mouth of Coon Creek last Thursday (west side just down the hill from the bend in the boat ramp road) with shad sides and turkey liver. Strong wind blowing into shore from S and good warm day. Did not do any good. Move further back into cove and did get couple of bites (one each of shad and liver). Had to leave for work and did not go back into creek proper. Sounds like that was the key, especially after the rain. Thanks for the information. Jerry.

10. lostviet

lostviet New Member

State:
    kansas city mo
    Secret 7 huh ... where can i get some of that ?:wink:

11. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
  12. lostviet

lostviet New Member

State:
    kansas city mo
  13. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    It's good that there are allot of small ones, they were made by bigguns.

14. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Are they letting any water out of the spillway at Clinton? I need to catch some shad.

15. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Keith just told me on the phone they were. Don't remember how much.

16. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Online it says 500cfs but don't know how reliable that is!

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  18. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
  19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice catch Troy. :cool2:

20. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Troy, thanks for sharing the pics and the story never heard of that dip bait.

Did you see any shad jumpin or anything hittin the top of the water??