Clinton Spillway Snaggers!!

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by kscatman, Jun 1, 2007.

1. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I went out to Clinton spillway tonight for a while to try for a flathead with some big goldfish. I never had a chance at a fish hitting due to all the snaggers. There were no less than 10 people blatantly snagging flatheads. It made me sick!! I'ts the same people every year doing it and everyone just ignores it. Well i'm not ignoring it any more. When I was leaving a game warden came up to me and asked if I caught any thing. I told him no and asked him if he could do anything about the snagging going on. He asked me which fisherman were doing it and I told him exactly who were. He replied that he would try to catch some of them with his night vision and I thanked him. This crap has got to stop, I've wathched thousands of pounds of flathead get taken out of there by illegal means over the years and it needs to come to a stop. I snitched and i'm proud of it. These jerks act like they own the spillway and get annoyed if you have a line out in the way of there snagging casts. I will do everyhthing I can to put this to a stop. I'm sure there may be some snaggers that are members of this site, that may not like me for telling on them. But I am a legitimate fisherman and snaggers are criminals.

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    hey some times u gotta do what ya gotta do....

u definately did the right thing....

i know if i see someone trapping or hunting illeagally close to my land i hunt and trap i call the DNR...

its crazy what some ppl do

good job

3. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    Give em hell Eric.

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

are you sure they were snagging?

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I hate to say it, but I personally know 2 of the guys you saw out there Eric. I tried to tell them, but they dont listen to me. One of them noodled out an 85 lb. flat last night. He said he was there right when they shut the water off, and their was 4 big flats stuck in the shallows just above the waterfall. :sad2:The wardens need to pay alot better attention to Perry and Clinton spillways when theyre letting water out. Its a shame. One of those 80+lb flats could be a record in 10 yrs. :sad2:

6. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for reporting them !!
    If you look at it one way, these fish belong to all of us, and as some others have said, it takes a very long time to grow a very large catfish.

These guys show their selfish ignorance and disregard for others besides just being jerks to fish around.

I hope they will get caught, get ALL their fishing equipment impounded, and get a hefty fine.

After that, I hope they'll learn from this STUPIDITY and learn to be back out fishing as sportsmen taking care of OUR resources for our kids and grandkids !!

Sadly, that's not usually the case, but it could happen.....

7. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Nice work reporting them... I can't catch one with the population the way it is, no need to make it harder.

8. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    You did the right thing. What kind of people do this just plain ignorance and disregard to the laws.

9. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Way to go kscatman. Maybe I can read about some of these snaggers and their fines in the Kansas Wildlife and Parks magazine in the future. I sure enjoy reading about poachers and them getting their just rewards.

10. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    You did the right thing and I'm also shocked that the warden acted like he didn't have a clue this was going on. Crazy.

11. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Bust that A$$ !!!!! Hell yeah rat them out !!!! GOOD JOB !!!!!!:wink:

12. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Good job. I fish below the lewisville spillway I dont uselly see people snagging what i do see is people useing cast nets to catch anything and everything, like just the other day. They wasnt letting any water out of the main gate and theres a ledg that you can wade across to the middle wall between the two gates the far gate runs all the time anyways i was the first one there and started getting good bites in the main gate right next to where the ledge is a couple pulls up with two young kids they asked if i had done any good i told them i was getting some bites then they took out a castnet and walked down to the rocks no big deal i thought their going to get some bait but then the man walked out onto the ledge and casted out towards my lines not 10 feet away from them. i was pissed but then he walked to the middle with his two kids and started tossing crappie, perch, lm bass, sandbass, rainbow trout, buffalos and carp into a bucket then would send his kids back across the ledge to the rocks to put the illegally caught fish into a fish basket i watched them go back and forth by this time im not getting anymore bites do to the fact that the kids are running across where my lines are i wasnt so pissed about them useing a castnet to catch fish illegally but the fact that he had his young kids out there with him when at any time they could start releaseing water and they would be screwed theres no way those kids could have swimmed back to shore in the strong current and made it back alive.

13. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Don't talk about feeling bad, that is foolishness. If you don't turn in poachers you are screwing fellow sportsmen. All true. I would rather see your picture with a huge fish than a story about how someone poached one.

14. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Yeah, i'm sure they were snagging. I saw two fish taken right in front of me that were snagged. One was hooked in the pectoral fin and the other was hooked in the belly. As far as knowing whether or not people are snagging I do. I've been a fisherman since I was 2 years old and I fish at least 150 days a year. You tell me waht you are doing when you are creeping two jigs along the bottom and slamming back on the rod as hard as you can evey time you feel resistance. Your not fishing for walleye. Then there is the old trick of having your buddy unhook it for you before he pulls it up. It does'nt fool me or any of the othe honest fisherman around. It's blatant poaching pure and simple.

15. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

jeese was just asking

16. Lyle

Lyle New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    kscatman,

Good job man.

Having fished the spillway for many years, I've seen a lot. A lot of +80#'s, ~100's snagged/foul hooked to be immediately thrown in the back of the truck and they're off, to return, repeat an hour later. I"ve also seen these same snagged/foul hooked get pitch back to live again. I've also caught them with jigs still in their side. (light rigs)

I've also seen a lot of 80#'s caught in the mouth, WITH JIGS. not just once but multi repeats.... On days where I have every type of bait man can think up in the water with no bites-- but I watch the jigs tear the flats up. Flats like crappie jigs at certain times.... Plastic worms in heavy current. simply put.

Take yourself a chartreuse green crappie jig, maybe add a red tail, doubled, and work the wall down there now. Debarb the hook, there may be a foul hook and there is a good chance you lose in on light tackle, no need in him carrying jewelry.

Try it. You'll see, it's going on right now out there.

That spillway is chalk full of fish right now and will be until they are caught out. Yes, I'm not happy when I've spent multiply hours getting bait, and fishing with no luck down there and the guy next to me snags one to throw in in his car/truck and leave or have at it some more. it is what it is, but I applaud your action.

Why on the topic of the spillway, what's with all the people this year?? Its been a zoo :)

Also, tonight has been the best night out there so far this year for bait fishing. They were hot tonight. 6# channels tearing little perch up. Nothing big on bait, but plenty of big ones seen.....

Good luck all.

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

wow another lawrence guys welcome here! i know all about getting themt o bite on a jig down there it can be fun fun. there isnt a fish out there that wont take a jig

18. Lyle

Lyle New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    :)

It can be a lot of fun. man o man, this is going to be a good year :)

I've been loosing sleep.. like it's the day before archery deer, or turkey opener.... but nightly...

Hitting any nice blue's, with shad, on the kaw?

I've seen zero on the spillway.

That also reminds me, when the waka comes back up, the shad have been big and a lot of them on one cast.. freezer is getting a filling this year.

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i hear ya on the shad i have netted over a hundred big ones this year and a buddy of mine has netted even more, i went through alot of it all ready will have to net more. havent heard of to many big blues yet but do have a buddy that has landed some dandys out on the kaw this year my son landed one around 15 pounds so far this year on the kaw. his biggest todate. i have landed a few nice flatheads so far but nothing in the huge range yet but there coming they allways do.

20. txcats

txcats New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree with you John