CLinton Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jross1901, May 26, 2008.

1. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    hello everyone,

new to central IL and clinton lake.

just looking for any tips/guidance on clinton for cats and bass.
    such a vast lake dunno where to start, any thing helps.

thanks, jim

2. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Are you fishing from the bank or from a boat??

3. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    i have a boat.

also where can i get/find shad. and what kind of net would i need.

4. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    James, welcome to the BOC. Channels can be caught just about everywhere on Clinton, I’ve caught them at both ends of the lake. I have the best luck toward the hot water. When I go bass fishing, I normally stay at the east end of the lake. Good luck.

5. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    I really need help finding shad on clinton, thanks everyone

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    James I mostly go to the hot water inlet to get my shad. I can generally net a shad? or two at the boat ramp to get started, but don't think targeting gills in a net is legal. In open water, watch the gauls, the birds will follow the shad. Good luck.

7. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    bumpity bump bump

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    clinton lake. my honey hole . i have no info to help.:roll_eyes:

shad. large ones. cast net. right off any ramp. i mean right on the concrete slope. i usually get enough there to get going. doyle is correct. in front on the hot water discharge is great too for shad. toss around with your trolling motor if ya have one. once ya find them keep passing and tossing that area.

bass.really cant help there. dont bass fish it.

channels are abundant.

best methods. drifting produces good. use a carolina rig or bottom bouncer. use shad. cut it in threes if there 6" or bigger. use heads and gut section. toss out tails for chum. 3-4" shad. cut off tail back to anus. use rest whole. pinners under 2" stink. they work in a pinch but fall off quick if the cats dont run. but drifting often thell try and steal your rod. get holders if ya dont have them.:wink:

anchored. try dewitt bridge and 48 bridge. there good areas. i preffer drifting. covers more area and often several passes over a good area where there hitting produces good eaters. from 2-8lbs. and bigger on ocassion. theres an old creek channel thet runs length of lake. its a flooded creek. that old channel makes goos areas. get a detailed map of of lake. they show it.

drifting. parnell. thats a great area. its narrow and roughly flat bottom with a common depth. around 12' at normal pool. drift the area till ya pick up good hits and repete drifts over it. parnell it the farthest east leg of the lake and has an access ramp. its all no wake from bridge to the ramp. meaning no idiot pleasure boats. good fishing.

also in front of the marina and around houseboat cove s good driftig. houseboat cove is the large cove across and nothe of marina. on weekends its easy to find. look for 2 peice swim suits and loud rap and country music.:smile2: not to mention boats out the a$$.

north fork. can be good at times. though after 9/11 its closed off to main lake. you can put in there but have to trailer if its not producing. to get to rest of lake. they closed off the north fork bridge to ip point. "the peninsula south of nuke plant."

ya. 9/11 ruined the best cat area. right in front of intake. the submerged dikes and emergency pool was deep and full of structure. you can fish it if ya want to dodge m-16 bullets.:smile2: my uncle can verify. he worked there recently pouring concrete. they are packing serious heat now.

but just south of ip point just north of west side ramp is good for channels too. had lots of luck there. under and north of the powerlines that cross lake.:wink: in summer months shad congragate theretoo. in huge schools. i used to get 20lbs in a cast.

dischage. crowded full of fisherman. some crowd ya. gets redic at times. but on weekdays its ok. get a spot early. ive landed some good ones there. if its full. anchor or drift out from it. the current will push ya out across lake. even on still days.

landing net is a must. youll loose many whithout one. there fighters in the warm water.

i know this lake like the back of my hand mostly. dont need a light on the darkest night to patrol it. i know the shallow spots and all. ask. ill help ya best i can.

reminder. its all no wake now dark til dawn. had a fella get killed a few years back by a speedboat. 1/2 hr after sunset to 1/2 hr before sunrise. all no wake. see hunting regs or news. they go by sunrise and sunset tables. havent heard of them being real strict but better safe than a ticket.

parnell & north fork. all no wake. jugging and trotlines. only in the parnell and northfork areas.
    i see your a construction worker and fish hunt and poker. sounds like me. maybe well just have to meet up sometime. where ya located????????

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    now wait. i seen ya in another thread about going to the world series of poker. maybe just beer and fishing. forget the cards.:smile2:

around champaign??? i live 1 hour due west of ya. im 15 min from that lake just east of wapella.

click on this link. top side of lake. follow the road west. youll see my tiny town of waynesville.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=Clinton&state=IL

far north east finger is parnell. far north west finger is north fork.

10. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    hey man thanks for all the insight on the lake, i will put it to good use.

i'm always looking for someone to go catfishing with. we'll have to get together sometime this summer so you can can so me the ropes.

again much appreciation.

11. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    and yes i live in champaign. and i have a boat. been trying for flatheads out there recently, with no success, but the water has been looking like chocolate milk.