clinton lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jross1901, May 10, 2009.

1. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    new to clinton

please help with any tips and such

i have a boat.:big_smile:

ty in advance

2. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Always had good success between Dewitt and 48 bridges.:wink:

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    East side of spillway is good, up on the flat, the old gravel pits hold some nice ones, the salt creek channel on east side, and like Jeremy said those are good spots also, especially if ya can get there after a heavy rain and the water starts coming up from SC..... the rock shelf along the bridges usually produce some unreal fishing......

4. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    bump

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    One other thing, on rt. 10 at Green Acres Camp Ground and Bait, ask Danny or any of the fella's there and they will give you a daily report on the lake......and not the type to sell anything either, they fish it as much as they get time also, just some good ol boys.

6. big_poppa

big_poppa New Member

State:
    tolono,illinois
    just reading this and was gonna ask the same question. may be going next weekend so i may try a few of these places.

7. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    i have fished some of those areas and have caught some nice channels.

i'm really looking for info on flatheads. fished all last year and nothing but channels.

8. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What do they like the best at these bridges?

Live bait,cut,or dip/stink bait?

9. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i fish the banks at night, and the cove openings.

10. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    IMO the main forage and the best bait is fresh shad.

11. backhoe58

backhoe58 New Member

State:
    New Holland,Illinois
    I usually fish the North Fork area. You can not get there from the main lake any more, but that keeps the obnoxious je skiers and fast boats out. My wife caught a 3 pounder on Sunday while fishing for bluegill with a tiny hook and bobber.:big_smile:

I bought a cast net last week to try and catch shad, but since it turned off cold, I have not seen any shad on the surface. Any help with locating shad and using the cast net would be very helpful.

Thanks

12. illinoiscatfish

illinoiscatfish New Member

State:
    illinois
    every time i have went there i have always got my shad under and around the bridge. if there not there i dont know what to tell ya.

13. H2O!

H2O! New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have caught some nice size channels drifting the area from Weldon Boat ramp to Parnell Bridge.

14. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    if its flattys u r after try house boat cove back by the trees or northfork when there spawning. i got my pb flatty at the spillway at clinton useing a 2lb wallie. got the other one on live bullhead. pix in my album.

15. apfd82

apfd82 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i haven't been down there in years but seem to always do good no matter where we fished at

16. illinoiscatfish

State:
    illinois
    where are all the catfish im having trouble locating them and whats the best bait to use on clinton besides shad??????:confused2:

17. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    went too clinton last night, should of went too the river. one bit at 1.30am that was it. had worm,shrimp,shad. broke the flywheel key so no motor just trolling motor. u can,t have all the luck in the world:smile2::smile2:

18. illinoiscatfish

State:
    illinois
    i havent done very well out there this year i dont know what the deal is. im going to be out there next weekend so im not givin up on em yet. i ordered some secret7 dipbait i guess its supposed to be the shiznat so we will see what happens. hope to see yall out there :cool2:

19. illinoiscatfish

State:
    illinois
    ok got a question???? a guy i work with claims he caught a blue cat at clinton lake????? i dont think there are blues in there. maybe im wrong??? what are ur thoughts on this cause i think hes crazy :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2:

20. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've been told there's blue's there too. Haven't caught one myself though. Also heard they aren't too common to catch but they are there. Would be something nice to know if someone does know this for a fact!