Clinton Lake Spillway

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by L2druid, Sep 15, 2009.

1. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Decided to go nightfishing last minute tonight. Started fishing around 9pm and finally got our spot right in front of the dam at about 10pm. After throwing some different cut baits out and not having much luck I caught a bluegill and hooked him on then threw him way out against the wall. Let him sit for quite a while and had something to watch while he tugged the bobber around before it suddenly got violent and shot under.

He was kind of like reeling in a log at first and I thought he got hung up like 3 times but then would keep being tugged along. The fight started when he got near the shore, started tearing out drag like crazy.

Hooked my PB and very first flattie, coming in at just under 20lbs! Now I know for some of you folks that's nothing but it is a huge jump for me! He's in my sig pic now. We called it a night after that.

Oh! I was using a kat bobber ( I LOVE them..first time I used them tonight-I almost didn't want to..so afraid I'd lose them. ) and a team catfish double action hook.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats and welcome to the BOC/SOC Heather.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Congrats on the first and NICE flathead. Feels great doesn't it?

4. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    my pb flattys came from clinton spillway. im goin th.day. night too see if i cant get me a new pb.:big_smile:

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Heather...If it's any consolation, you've already outfished me...:embarassed:

6. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks so much everyone. I was very close to releasing him, only keeping him because I wanted to compare the taste of flathead to channel since I've never caught a flattie. I really believe in releasing the larger ones, not only would it help keep them around for other people to enjoy, they just plain deserve it. So I felt really bad keeping this guy.

Hey Boyd, I almost planned going thursday night instead! I woulda seen ya out there. I wouldn't have squeezed in though, I hate intruding on other people when they're in front of the dam so I won't settle in if someone's already there. Do other people do it to you?

7. illinoiscatfish

illinoiscatfish New Member

State:
    illinois
    very nice heather hope i can catch one like it some day. havent had much luck this year at clinton but its not over yet. hit me up if u want to go out on my boat fishing id take ya :wink:

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    clinton, thats a cancer lake lol but ,nice fish:wink:,radiation in there, that plants known for being the worst nuke in the us, you wont see me there

9. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i wait till there gone normally had about a 30lber that night. got him 2 the bank and down he went and out comes the hook:eek:oooh: he,s still in there. the flattys i got in my album r the 1,s i got down there last year. i normally dont keep the big 1,s. i had no camra and i knew no 1 would bleave me so i kept mine 2. fed me and my kids 4 a 2 months.:big_smile: yeh thers always some 1 there. when the move right next 2 me i cast over them now. some of those guys started casting across the dam and snagin every 1. got tired of that, didn,t say anything 4 a while but thers peps. out there who dont have any respct 4 other fisherman. thers no water comein over now its perfict for my wolf bobbers.