Clinton Lake Spillway Report.

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by LarryS, Sep 11, 2006.

1. LarryS

LarryS New Member

State:
    Clinton,Il
    Went to the Spillway today around 10:00 A.M. With all the rain i just wanted to try something close to home. Throw out some livers and worms but no takers on either,i decide to start throwing a Roostertail Spinner up close to the Spillway wall and on the 3rd cast got me a nice Hybrid. Don't know how many pounds it is but she is 27 inches long and she has a 18 and 1 half inch girth. Not bad for a day i was just going to stay at home doing nothing.

Attached Files:

2. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    nice catch brother nice catch

3. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Way to go Larry, thats a nice looking fish.:smile2:

4. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have caught a couple of big stripers lately and they sure can put up a good fight.

5. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Where on Gods green earth would you be catchin stripers in the Neoga Area? Its a mystery :big_smile:.

And a little word to the wise, they restocked recently without telling anyone. They kept it on the low down.

6. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I thought everyone knew what lake I live on.
    The next time I talk to Joe, the Lake Superintendant, I will ask about the stripers being restocked. I see him often.
    I do know there are funds for fish restocking, I hope it is catfish.:cool2:
    I also know I have been catching white bass like I never did before this year. Perhaps they were stocked also.

7. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois

LOL, ole Joel. He's a heck of a good guy. I caught some 5" stripers while crappie fishin on the causway. At least I thought they were stripers. It looked like they had the broken horizontals. Do you know how many 4"-6" channel they put in there a while back? Wasnt it in the tens of thousands? There was an article on the front page of the newspaper.

8. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    800. Most were caught while they were still 8" long by folks fishing by the marina or causeway.
    There are LOTS of small yellow looking white bass along the causeway.
    The white bass I have been catching are 14-15 inchs long and put up a 10 pound channel type fight. They are very white looking. They are fun to catch if the catfish are not biting.

9. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    These werent the yellow bass that a guy typically catches on the causway. Anyway, I know they stock the lake with a lot more channels than that. Some where in the thousands within the last 5 or ten years.

It seems like ever since the lake started getting recognition from IL fish and game mag. that the fishing has steadily gone down. Particularly the crappie, which makes me very sad. You cant beat crappie filets.

10. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I was told by a friend of mine a few years back that the crappie population was going to go down because there had been to much changing in the lake depth during peek spawn times.

11. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois

You would be amazed at the increase in fishing pressure over the last 6-8 yrs. Its just crazy.

The water level theory is a good one as well. Not only does the lake drop due to drought but the lake is also the primary water source for all the local towns. And believe me, that puts a serious strain on the water levels during drought season.

12. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    They stocked 800 a couple of years ago and there hasn't been any stocked since then. The "thousands" is a myth. It is getting very hard to catch a catfish at the lake, there is just too much pressure. They have well over 1400 boats registered. Not all of the are catmen but enough are that the catfishing has really deteriorated. This board hasn't helped either. One guy catchs a nice cat and 50 guys come to the lake expecting to catch a big one. It just doesn't happen that way. The crappie fishing has deteriorated also. If I didn't live on the lake where it is so easy to fish, I wouldn't fish it. I do often go to other lakes and rivers in the area.

13. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    couldnt agree more. there is a certain lake owned by an 'electrical' company down south that has experienced the same problem. Its hard to complain though when the lake refuses to implement a size and creel limit. I think it is just stupid. Too many times have I seen guys take 20 or 30 8-12" channel and call them "eaters". These are the same guys that cant figure out why they arent getting on big fish anymore. Go figure!

14. Luscious Jackson

Luscious Jackson New Member

State:
    IL
    So, this may be a stupid question but you guys are talking about the area where it's like a retention area for the creek right? Or are you guys fishing on the lake side? Also, is the actual creek flowing from the area any good for anything? Looked kind of smallmouthy to me the time I was there.

15. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dan, I think they went from Clinton to Lake Mattoon.:roll_eyes:

16. Luscious Jackson

Luscious Jackson New Member

State:
    IL
    Well a buddy and I are heading to below the spillway thursday morning. Going to try to use some bigger cut baits maybe some gill heads for some larger kitties. Anyone have any advice they would care to share?

17. LarryS

LarryS New Member

State:
    Clinton,Il
    Right now you are wasting your time fishing the Spillway, went Monday and caught 1 Bass. No hits on Liver,Live Shad, cut Shad or anything.... water was so low i walked across the Creek and gathered all the lures that were snagged in the Trees and Weeds on the other side. :big_smile: