Clinton Lake Report

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Dsage, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    CJ (goingfishin) and I went out on Clinton this morning. We meet up with Caleb (Mandingo) and Kaleb (youngbuck). The ice is gone on the main lake area. A lot of the covers are still coved in 1 to inches of ice. The wind was real nasty out there today. Nothing better than getting hit with a 4 foot wave of ice cold water. Not much for bites just a couple little taps in our boat. I think that he others get some better bites though.

2. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Did you guys see all those dead shad floating around the lake? I was over on the fed side and their was no ice except for on the ramp. Did you guys come down the river or brave the lake?

3. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    We were on the lake getting pounded. There is dead shad everywhere out there.

4. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Their were some holy rollers coming out of the Wakki side I thought about going up their until I turned the corner. Plus I was just their running part of my ten hour break in period and didnt want to run my motor to hard against those waves. I tried off this one point with three anchors still could hold so I just burned some hours off my motor better luck next weekend.

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    MY CLINTON REPORT-RIDICIOUSLY WINDY.................THATS IT

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i agree w/ y'all. we were at the spillway and down river for a mile or so. extreme wind, heavy current (they're lettin out), and no action on anything we used. not a good day for us either. best part of the day was lookin at the purdy gals walkin their dogs on the walkin trails lol

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Here are a few pictures that I snapped when we were out today.

Attached Files:

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

clinton lake repeort...... channels are biting on cut shad.in the shawlloer areas that warm up first

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I am going to need exact GPS coordinates of every place you got a bite!:smile2:

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

well your s.o.l on that one.i am old school i still rely on my brain to remember things....lol:smile2: running the mouths of creeks channels are up in the shallows looking for all that shad that died off over the winter do this every year out there about this time of year

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I think that the wind was the major problem for us. We were in the channels as far as we could get since they were frozen over still for the most part. I think that with out the wind on sunday the bite would be better.

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

you should try the small coves around bloomington the action was much better

13. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    We were up in the Deer Creek Area.

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

deer and coon creek are good places in the summer months and here and there in the springs.shallow flats is where i found them this time of year there are cruiseing them looking for food. they are easy pickings when they are doing that.nothing big but better messing with eaters than day dreaming about going.lol

15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I hear you there about dreaming. I just cant wait till summer when the Flatheads are in action. I have to hit Clinton more this year for them, I had really good luck a few years ago. For some reason I just hit the outlet last year.

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

outlet is to full of snaggers for me.lots of good action up on the lake though if you know where to look

17. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I ran in to the guys snagging some. I know of a couple of areas on the lake but not enough though.

18. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i see someone snagging down there i swear every time i go. i think the game wardens are sick of hearing from me about it.

19. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I nailed one guy last year, He was snagging with a buddy and they got one after about 20 mins of messing around. When he started reeling it in I went over to him and told him that I had a net and he could use it. Then I stood around for a sec or two. Then I told him that it looked real big maybe he should get them game warden to weigh it for him. He asked me to repeat my self and I pointed up to the warden that was in the upper parking area. He said it was ok and he never took the fish out of the water. He reached down and messed around with it and then left. The sad thing is that he told me he had a 50, 60 something and a 70 earlier that week. I don't know if i beleive him but I know that Clinton has a nice supply of big ones and snagging them is not that hard at the outlet.

20. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Sounds like the Game Warden needs to do his job.They are missin a lot of revenue not handing out tickets.You can get tag numbers and descriptions and they still dont get caught.They need to watch a ways away with some binoculars and take care of that.Thats what we pay them to do.