Clinton Lake Report....

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Doyle, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Got on the lake at about 6:30 am, there were two boat trailers at Weldon boat ramp. The fog from the hot water made visibility very bad. Had to idle all the way to the discharge area where I netted my shad. Drifted for an hour and never even got a bite. Went over to a cove where I’ve had good luck before and anchored. Caught 6 channels and a drum. Only three of the channels were big enough for me to take home. Got back home 11:00 am. A fair fishing day. Still no Channels over 5.

2. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    Doyle; sounds like you had a pretty good day. Wish I could get out.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Small fish are better than no fish, but then again nobody ever complains about catching big ones.

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Went fishing with Doyle this morning. First we went down and tied off at the hot water return and Doyle threw out the cast net three times and got enough shad for the time spent fishing. We then went to one of the coves he likes to fish. He got both of his poles out and as soon as I got my second rod out, BAM, I caught a small channel, then in just a minute or two, BAM, Doyle caught a small drum, (I think it may have been a snare), shortly BAM, here goes Doyle catching a small channel. That was the end of our catching the rest of the time there was just fishing. Day was over for us, great day, great partner and one heck of a nice boat. Was wondering if I could steal it, but alas, to old and broken up for that. Deffinetly had a good time though, Thanks, Doyle.

5. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dick did well, he caught his first fish before I got my poles in the water. I enjoyed his company.:smile2:

Attached Files:

6. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How bout a picture of that boat doyle?

7. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Next time I go out I'll take a couple.

8. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois

Sounds good, what type of boat do you have?

9. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Its a crestliner 18.5. I enjoy using it but it doesnt allow me to catch anymore fish than my old one. I thought with a bigger boat I might try the bigger rivers but I don't think thats going to happen. My old fishing buddys have left me for parts unknown and I wouldn't think about driving a hundred miles and putting in a new spot with out reenforcement. Habits are hard to break plus gas is getting too expensive.:smile2:

10. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois

Gas is getting very very expensive. I took a boat down to my parents place on the ohio (near golconda). It was over $100 in gas for the trip. What a joke!

sounds like an awfully nice boat Doyle. It would probably be a good boat for trolling for walleye, stripes, muskey....... at lake shelbyville, rend, or carlyle. Heck probably even there at clinton.

11. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've never tried trawling except to leave the lines in the water when I repositioned my boat. I would think that it would require a lot more equipment that I am not willing to buy. Plus I would think it hard to drive the boat and watch the line at the same time.... too much like work for me.:lol:

12. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Understandable. in the spring and fall when the white bass get good at lake shelbyville we trawl with rod n hand until we find schools. We've caught everything from walleye to flattys and crappie to muskys. Its a good time

13. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Went to Clinton this morning. Never caught a fish, but threw my net in by the hot water and got a lbs and lbs of shad on the first throw. Let most of them loose and only kept a few. I was thinking that with all of the bait fish available, why would mr. channel bite on mine. He didn't. I think they are full of shad, maybe if I used something they might like for desert.:smile2:

14. Luscious Jackson

Luscious Jackson New Member

State:
    IL
    I hit below the spillway this morning and caught about a dozen little channels. Maybe 3-4 decent eater size. The rest were ones I'd like to find again in about two years. :smile2: Anywho, the bait shop in Clinton didn't have any shad and I don't have the ability to net 'em myself so I was stuck to livers and crawlers. I'm thinking that's why my sizes were smaller. I've heard some stories about this spot and expected a bit more but I think I may just need a better approach, but heck, I spent a morning fishing and that's all that really matters. :big_smile: Anyone know a bait shop locally that has shad on even a semi-regular basis? I've tried about four different places and nobody ever seems to have any. Also, if anyone has any other spots on Clinton(or anywhere else around Bloomington area) they would divulge to a shore bound catch and release guy, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    ...I don't have the ability to net 'em myself.....

Is it a physical thing or just not sure how to throw a net?
    If its a knowledge, technique thing, go to wally world/dicks/etc and buy a $20 - $25 net. Then read the thread Jw (DreadNaught) wrote on how to throw one. 20 minutes practice in your front yard will have ya throwing like a champ... I used to use a similar way, but liked JW's a tad better and now throw mine like he does...

If its a physical thing, take a kid fishing and teach him :wink:.. He'll probably catch all the shad you could ever use and think its a blast hehe..

16. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dan, Welcome to the BOC. Shad are some times a little hard to get from the bank. You have to have them school next to you. When I am banking, I am more likely to get a few blue gil or sun fish with the net. I think they are even better than shad because they stay alive a lot longer. I just don't visit the bait shops so I cant help you with what they sell. Good luck on what ever you use. When in a jam, use clawers, then use the first fish caught for bait, that works.:smile2: