Clinton Lake potential get together, interested post here

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by JERMSQUIRM, Jan 10, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well once again the possibility of a clinton lake get togather has been addressed. its a 5000+ acre horseshoe shaped cooling lake located 9 miles or so east of clinton lake and 30 min from bloomington. i fish this lake frequently and it is my primary waters fished. there is an abundant catfish population and with little effort fish can be caught. good shad stock easily caught on and at ramps for bank fishing a hot water area accessible by boat and closly by bank. idnr maintained camping with a bar and grill located 2 miles from camping and a bait and grill waterside.

this would be a spring get togather like mayish. anyone intrested post here.

fishes in lake include flatheads, channels, hybred stripers, walleye, white bass crappie white and black, bass and muskie as well as carp, bluegill and most other native species in illinois.

its a first come first serve area but if we decide to go through with it i can take deposits for 1 night stay and go early on a fri morn and pay for sights. ill have to double check but sure its feasable.
    located 9 miles from clinton were hotel accomidations are available. ive boated and fished the lake for 15 years and have success and filled the order for annual fish fry at my home for 20 floks. it is one of the top catfish lakes in illinois. a flooded creek channel runs the length and shown on maps. hence channel cats. its a regular perfect channel lake with a consistant current and warm water for great catfish breeding.

post here if intrested in coming.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    there's one or two of them little bluish kitties in there too! Is a great place to fish, spent many a day on Clinton Lake, walleye on the pits, catn and striper along the dam and 48 bridge, nice crappie as you say the old road bed is also a great spot if'n ya can find it :wink:

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hey Jer, you do any work on the State Farm Building back in the early 90's(in Bloomington) when it was going up? I remember working with a fella from Wayne, well not directly with, we were doing the concrete and he was on an inside crew, we used to chat about the lake and over at Green Acres Camp and Bait on 10 (Danny Williams owns it) don't remember the name of the gin-mill either but up there at 48-54 I think there was a bait shop right across the road by the tracks..LOL long ago.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

ya 48 bridge is a good spot for channels. alond dewitt bridge as well. ive caught tons in front of the inlet dams but its off limits after 9/11. the lake has produced cats every where ive fished at one time or another. the whole parnell area is no wake and an excellent drifting area for cats.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm interested. I have'nt had my boat in clinton yet...what months are the discharge area closed?

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hugh. thats weird you ask. ok heres how it went. when state farm was building those my uncle was forman and the president of the local. dennis rich from waynesville. he had just moved to mclean. he got me on as an aprentice for the plasterers but they were not ready for me yet and him and the buisness agent paul miller let me work with them finishing for 8-9 months.
    then i went to the plasterers.

i worked on the floors on one of the buildings in the rear while they were open and a basment pour as well as some grinding. i was only 18-19 at the time. but i had a boat and did alot of fishing back then. very well could have been me.

the bait shop is open just bought by a new owner, really got things going. there is a bar across the street,powerhouse pub.

and there are a few guys from waynesville that camp over at green acres. jerry lowery is one. his brother david is a finisher and george taylor from here all worked there.

were you working for vee jay cement co out of spring field? i just looked at your profile looks like your not much older than me. wonder if i worked with ya.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    they open it april 1st. figure we could do this about the end of april begining of may. if enough are intrested.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i mean vee jay from st louis. pm me your last name. my uncle was forman and hes wondering if he knew ya. he said he dont remember a randy but dont know your last name.

9. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    jeremy, put me on your list, I like to fish!

10. hardyman1014

hardyman1014 New Member

State:
    illinois
    this sounds liek a very cool idea, i live in lincoln wich is what 20 miles from clinton? only thing is the boat i do have is a smalled two man fiberglass boat, about 9 foot long. not sure how well it would do on clinton lake.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    walleye on the pits??? i'm going to try my hand at walleye fishing this year. (gotta have something to do while waiting for big bait to take off) what do you mean "the pits"? i know of several lakes that are supposed to have nice walleye populations. but, not many fish for them. I'm going to see what i can do to help the conservation dept. thin some of them out. lol.

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    The old gravel pits that were flooded under when they built Clinton Lake........Where you gonna be pokin at them eye's this year? Sure makes a nice trip when ya bring 5-6 nice eyes home after/while catching a few slob blues or Flats for the fun! :wink:

13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    do you know where these gravel pits are, jeremy ?

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i do all my shopping in lincoln. heading there now for some supplies.

im not sure where the pits were. i know this lake like the back of my hand but not whats below it. i primarly crappie and catfish it. ill be finding out soon.

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well OK then, I tried this once before, LOL. Soon as ya come out of the marina head towards the dam about 150 yards from where the old tires are (water brake) they would be out there. Two of them matteroffact, you get out off of what they call Gravel Point about 30-40 yrds. and troll around and you will find them. Most anyone fishing them look like they are just drifting across the grassy Flat, but I will tell ya they are fishing them two holes.........Done it many a time. They are not marked on any purchase maps I ever seen but they are just a bit to the S.W. of where the old Salt channel cuts across off of Gravel point about 1/2 way across the lake. just watch the graph you will find them.