Clinton Lake Laws

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by L2druid, Oct 16, 2009.

1. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I asked a couple IL residents of the forum this but I will post here as well. I've had a look at the laws here but they are kind of confusing to me.

Is it legal to trap bullheads to be used as bait?

At the Clinton Lake spillway can you snag asian carp? I have found huge snagging trebles left there and see asian carp dead all over the bank so other people have to be doing it.

I don't want to try anything that may be illegal.

2. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well..I called the dept. of Natural resources in my county and they acted kind of clueless. First lady didn't know what snagging was. She transferred me to a different number. Second lady told me there were no asian ( silver or bighead ) carp here.:eek:oooh:

I had to argue for a second then she put me on hold and came back and said yeah we do actually have them and there is no snagging allowed. Well..dang. You'd think they'd want rid of those things, they are everywhere.

For the bullhead trap I asked her if I could do it in Clinton Lake..she told me it's not allowed in state waters but in commercial it's ok..Don't know what that means...

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Heather when they refer to Commercial fishing they are saying if you have a commercial license you have different regulations and have less limitation on gathering fish/bait-fish. They should have referred you to a DNR officer.

4. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for all your help Mickey. Sucks that I got some shaky info. I'll be asking an officer next time I see one for sure.

Still..when I see all those hog silver carp that are 4 ft long cruising along in huge packs at the spillway filter feeding I just want to throw a stick of dynamite in the middle of em...dang laws, it'd help get rid of the nasty things.

5. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Dang Heather, you're awesome... you know how to bust up a pack of hog silver carp...

6. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Haha. I've love to see it done just once. Hell, I'd pay everyone around me to keep their mouths shut.

7. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If I can't snag em..I wonder how else I can get them...

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dynamite might be the best answer, Heather.:wink:

9. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Awesome! Meet me there sometime and lets go for it. :smile2:

We'll just tell them kind officers: "We're just tryin to attract dem fishes to the surface! Y'know they like dem loud noises..haven't y'ever heard of dem newfangled rattle traps yeah they love dem loud sounds!!11 Gunna catch us sum lunkerzz! Yeeeaaahh..and ignore dem size 10/0 trebles...we just like t'use reeeaally big cheesebait balls..t'catch lunkers y'know?"

I think they'd believe us.