Clinton lake gets blue catfish (Introduced)

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bigbearfireman, Oct 19, 2006.

1. bigbearfireman

bigbearfireman New Member

State:
    Lawrence,ks
    Hi all Boc brothers,
    Breaking news New catfish species added to clinton lake. Kdwp stocked clinton lake with 14,000 bluecats shorts today Oct 19 :smile2: Have Blues every been introduced before ? This is great news :cool2:

2. bigbearfireman

bigbearfireman New Member

State:
    Lawrence,ks
    Fishing Report - Last Update: 10/19/2006 Species

Channel catfish
    Good
    0.5-1.5 lbs
    Using dip bait over areas baited with soybeans..

Crappie
    Good
    0.5 -1.5 lbs
    Using jigs around brush.

General Comments

Water level is 1.46 feet below normal. Discharge = 7 cfs. Water temperature = 60. Feeders were filled with feed Sept. 26 for the last time this year. A new species (blue catfish) was introduced into Clinton, October 19. Over 14,000 shorts were stocked.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

this is great news as far as i know its the first time blues have ever been put in to a lake anywhere around here, i think they should do real well in there i cant beleive it has taken this long

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's cool. There may have been a random blue or two in the lake, as they were native to the area before the dam was built, but I never heard of any being caught. It will be interesting to see how fast they grow.

5. drifter106

drifter106 Member

State:
    kansas
    Considering some of the other introductions that the state has done, I see this as a positive. This species of fish should have a optimal chance of propagating the lake. Thumbs up for some wise decision making!!

6. Scott S.

Scott S. New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That should be some good fishing!

7. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    Blues are being stocked in several Kansas Lakes. KDWP has posted and update dated November 16, 2006.

The following is a list of lakes receiving blue catfish fingerlings in 2006, and numbers of fish:
    • El Dorado Reservoir -- 32,100
    • Cheney Reservoir -- 20,040
    • John Redmond Reservoir -- 20,021
    • Melvern Reservoir -- 15,050
    • Perry Reservoir -- 11,611
    • Clinton Reservoir -- 14,025
    • Gridley City Lake -- 1,000
    • Total -- 113,847 fish

Blue catfish should provide Kansas anglers with an exciting new opportunity to catch truly big fish and put meat on the table. Fish weighing more than 50 pounds have been reported caught from Milford Reservoir. And while no fish is likely to control a 'zebra messel' infestation, blue catfish, unlike other fish, will use zebra mussels as a food resource, helping them grow quickly in waters where zebra mussels are established.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Larry, the largest Bluecat caught at Milford Lake and confirmed is a 41lb'r. That's based on the last info I recieved from the local fish biologist. There have been a lot of bigger ones claimed to have been caught, but no pics or witness's. There are also a lot less big fish being caught due to over harvest of the big fish in the last couple of years. I've been fishing here since 75, and remember when they were first introduced to the lake, we'd catch a lot of 1lb and smaller, over the years they grew, when they started hitting the 20lb mark, some of us would "CPR" them, (Catch, Picture, Release) but unfortunately we have some here who MUST keep the fish itself for bragging rights. In the last 2 to 3 years, the big Cat catch has decreased significantly, and will continue to do so, due to the few big ones still being caught occassionally are still being kept. There were some who said, "you can't fish this lake out", this year they've been asking "you hear of anyone catching any big Blues", they're still caught, but fewer and fewer. If it keeps up, I figure another year or so you'll be extremely lucky to catch a Bluecat in the 20Lb+ range. A lot more conservative regulation would probably bring the population back in a few years. Catfishing became very popular here because of the possiblity of catching a "Biggun" it's just a shame more folks can't be satisfied with a picture and a memory. I tag and release every Catfish over ten pounds, and lately even the eight and up pound Cats. I apologize for getting on the ole soap box, hopefully the more it's said, the more folks will realize they're pemanently removing the reason they come to Milford Lake to Catfish in the first place, to "catch the bigone".
    PS: you probably noticed they didn't stock any Blues here this year, and I think last year neither. The smaller Blues are being caught fairly regularly.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    That is not getting on the ol'soapbox, that is telling it like it is brother!!! folks need to think about the future of a resource when they make the decision to take the big'ns home for show and tell, a pic will do just fine!!!

10. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    THis will probaly really hack some people off but oh well. I guess the state biologist in Kansas really want to get rid of the flatheads. Introducing blues will reduce food sources for the flatheads. FRom what I have read they are trying to reduce the flathead numbers in the lakes due to the fact they feed on sportfish. THe blues will also feed on the sportfish they are trying to protect. This is one reason Kansas produces such great flatheads is due to the fact they don't have to compete with the blues as dramatically as they do here in Ky and other states. You see far more big blues caught than yellows. I guess Kansas could not stand it any longer and wanted the same.

11. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    I agree with Jim, there is more damage done to the success of fishing by over-harvesting. I’ve seen baskets full of under-sized bass, walleye, wiper and striper. I have stopped individuals and told them that there is a length/creel limit of those fish, and have been told to "mind my own business". It’s too bad that there isn’t enough ‘game officials’ to keep an eye on those who abuse the system. I’m a catch and release fisherman, Except, when it comes to catfish, I usually keep enough for a meal or two. There’s nothing better than a meal of fresh catfish.

12. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Jim

I'm curious as to what you use to tag your fish with and exactly how you do it.

I only fish around the fish feeders in the summer time for channel and have a boat rule to release any fish at ten pounds or greater.

I think it would be interesting to maintain a place on this site to record info on tagged fish caught and released. It would be interesting to see how often some of these fish are caught. The person that intially caught and tagged a fish could enter the date, time, tag number, and size info for the fish on here. If a angler caught a tagged fish they could come in and post their info and disposition of said fish. I think it would be interesting as to just how often these released fish could be re-caught.

After catching a channel at Gardner Lake last summer that had broke off of someones stringer with the metal stringer hook still in it lower jaw I thought this fish had shared the fun of catching with a couple of anglers in a short period of time.

I was just curious as to what equipment and cost it would take to tag released fish.

Anyhow just the musings of some one not currently fishing. Hopefully I will be on the water tomorrow after some crappie. Have a good day.

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Demetrius, talking about reducing food supplies.........Clinton has been getting stocked hot and heavy with Wiper. Shad and small crappie may get to be a scarce commodity around that lake.

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Lee, thanks for the interest. It's not TOO expensive, after the initial cost. Biggest money goes for the tagging gun, now they're about $40, if I remember correctly when I spoke with the Lady who owns the company, "Floy Tag". I've been dealing with her for about 5 years now. I won't quote tag prices, as it depends what you order. When I got mine the last time, they were $.70 cents a tag, I ordered a 100. I had my phone number+"call me", a serial number sequence (of your choosing) and a short message, mine is "please release me". I'm hoping this is permissible, the phone number is 800 843 1172, Lady's name is Betsy. Should the contact info not make the cut, please send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Demetrius, I've not really heard about very many Flatheads being caught in Milford Lake. Every once in awhile, you'll hear about some being caught by bass fishermen throwing lures at the dam and Wakefield causeway catching some and Walleye fisherman hanging one while drifting worms outside of Farnum Creek. I'm sure there a a few die hard Flathead guy's, but I've just not heard much about them. You don't see very many big Flattie pics at the tackle shops either. Mostly Blues (not many lately though) and Channels.

16. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Hi guys glad to be back on the internet again. I have to say i'm excited about the blues being added to clinton. I agree with charlie though about whether there will be enough baitfish to keep everything fed. They have put mass amounts of wipers, walleye and sauger in as well. I'm an avid crappie fisherman as well, I hope all these other species dont put too much of a damper on the crappie fishing.

17. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    When they put the Blues in clinton they will only hurt the flatheads more. You see a trend here. Milford has fewer flatheads than clinton but a good population of blues, clinton on the other hand has a good supply of flatheads but very few blues. I just hope they don't hurt the flatheads. THose poor flatheads just don't get any %^#@ respect. It seems everywhere I read somebody is trying to get rid of them. First georgia because of the stupid redbreast , then Pennsylvania, then North Carolina. I am not saying Kansas is but I have read where a few of your biologist are tired of the flatheads. What gives.

18. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Simple, flatheads aren't a money fish. You just don't have the masses fishing for them like crappie or walleye, heck channel fishermen out number flathead fishermen on Clinton a 100 to 1. Judged by other states inability to remove flathead, it's not like their going to spend to much time managing something you can't get rid of:confused2: . Crappie fishing is huge on Clinton, so is walleye and channel cats.............14,000 blues won't last long on the bean holes.

19. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    You are right Charlie, but maybe its because they are so hard to catch also. People tend to fish for what they CAN catch, not what they can't.

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I figure there are enough flatheads in Clinton lake to take care of the new FOOD they just put in there, LOL!!! Maybe a few will survive, but those will be the wise ones that stay clear of Flathead areas. these I trust will grow to a greater size because of it. Survival of the fittest!!!