Clinton Lake Catfish Spots - Can someone help me out?

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by simplecollegekid, Apr 16, 2006.

1. simplecollegekid

simplecollegekid New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Can anyone help me out with clinton lake catfish spots. Especially for this time of year and also summer. thank you so much.

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

clinton lake isnt a bad lake for catfishing,any mud flat will produce channels this time of year(like around the wood ridge area)under the wakaresua bridge is another good one for both channels and flatheads

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    tyler theres a brother on here catsforuandme his name is jeremy rich
    pm him and im sure he can help you out about this lake also.
    he has fished it alot.
    tom "warcraft1975" sounds like hes hookin you up with some good locations too.
    thats what this place is all about

by the way welcome to the BOC

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Wrong Clinton Darryl:). If Jeremy has been coming to Kansas, I sure wish he'd have called,hehehe.

Tyler, Tom has given good advise. If you can get a map of the lake, look for places the river channel gets close to the bank and then fish the associated flats(limbered is good). Right now the crappie are on the bank so flipping catfish bait around the crappie beds might get you some cats...............personally I'd just as soon catch the crappie:)

5. simplecollegekid

State:
    Kansas
    sorry this is so long!

to Center: I'm not clear on whether or not I can pm Jeremy Rich from your comment center. I also did some crappie fishing this weekend at the dam at clinton and limited out in 2 hours. It was nice. I caught about 35 total. All keepers except two.

I have the fishing hotspots map for clinton and that helps and I'm going off of that for the following info.

To warcraft :How do I get down to under the wakarusa bridge to fish exactly? and where would I park? Are there any roads that lead back into the woodridge public use area? It doesn't show it on my map. I have another one of the lake maybe it has more roads? Anyway it looks like there is some good spots where the river channel comes close to the bank like center said to go.

When you guys say mud flats associated with the river channels, I want to make sure I know exactly what you are talking about. I know this may sound dumb, but I'm not totally familiar with the terminology. (also what are break points and channel breaks?). Is it the flat same depth areas by the channels?

I know you guys don't want to give me exact locations and I respect that, but all of your help is well appreciated and will not be taken advantage of.

I tried to fish once north of elk creek by the boat ramp. If I were to rent a canoe and start there and keep going up that part of the river fishing for cats in the ideal cat spots until I find them, could that work now? what about in may when they come up to spawn? i think those would be good times. what is your opinion?

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

the wakaresea river bridge you just park next to it and walk down,there are roads that dead end at the water in wood ridge and all over clinton.mud flats are just that mud bottomed shallow areas,most of the lakw is a mud flat hope this helps

7. simplecollegekid

State:
    Kansas
    I'll try and let you know about my trips and what happens.

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

fisihng any of the creek arms you should fair well out there,not sure about elk though but coon creek and deer creek are pretty good spots and staying close to the river channel i always advise the cats follow it like a highway

9. simplecollegekid

State:
    Kansas
    I was just using elk creek for location purposes. I was talking about further towards the main lake. Do you primarily fish for flatheads or channels or both in the creek areas? what about wood ridge, the other creeks, and under the bridge? what do you use for bait with flatheads/ I know they like live bait better.

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Where the hell is elk creek? Is it the little feeder that comes into the Wakarusa upstream of the the back boatramp...........if it is, it peters out into shallow riffles and runs real quick. I rarely fish from shore so I might not be the best to ask questions of.

Jeremy fishing Clinton lake in Illinois.

11. simplecollegekid

State:
    Kansas
    yea it's that stream I was just using that as a reference point to show the location of where I was talking about, which was further up the river than that.