Clinton Lake boaters missing

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by malaki, Mar 15, 2007.

1. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    search continues for three people whose boat went over the spillway. hope they find them ok but didnt sound good.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is defintely bad news. I hope they are all found alive and well. Please keep us updated. I don't get local Clinton news. Thanks.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    just heard this. i know that lake like my back yard. ya its a tall slope on that spillway. fished it. i heard they had made a 911 call just before that they were having boat trouble. still no word on finding them. thats very bad news. the creek that leads away from this spillway isn't very wide or deep but may be a bit deeper now cause the rain and snow melt but if they were alive it wouldnt be hard to find them. there isn't any timber at the dam and a spillway access to the public. so if they made it out they should have been easy to find.

unless they are down stream a long ways. can only hope. my prayers go out to the family and them as well.

4. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you hear anything please post. That would have to be a terrifying experience, a sense of helplessness. Hope everyone had life jackets.

Wooly

5. McQ

McQ New Member

State:
    Galesburg, Illi
    Search crews continue to search for an 8-year-old boy in Clinton Lake.

The boy along with his father and grandfather, all from Normal, disappeared following a 911 call placed from their boat Wednesday night.

The bodies of the boy’s father, 29-year-old Jason Hunter and his grandfather, 59-year-old Richard Hunter were pulled from the lake Thursday following a search effort by the Dewitt County Sherriff’s Department and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

DNR is leading the search with crews continuing to search the water. They are also searching a 1.5 mile wide, wooded area surrounding the lake.

The Dewitt County Sheriff's Department says that the family left for Clinton around 5:00 p.m. Calls were made by the boaters from the lake to family members around 7:50 p.m.

The 911 call was received from the boaters around 8:30 p.m. The area was experiencing strong winds and rain during this timeframe. Investigators say poor visibility and weather might have contributed to the accident.

The family’s boat was later found in the lake’s spillway. All three lifejackets have also been recovered.

DNR says only three boats have gone over the lake’s spillway in the last 25 years. Over 900,000 visitors a year visit the lake.

Newscenter 17 will have more details as they become available. Stay tuned for the 10:00 p.m. broadcast for the latest details.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    wednesday they found the 8 year old boy. at least the family can bury him now.