Clinton IL. Lake Report

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Doyle, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went fishing for the first time this year at Clinton Lake. I put my boat in at the park ramp at about 9:00 am. The water temp there was 54 ‘and there were around 6 trailers already there. The out side temp was 52’ with a wind from the NW at about 15 mph. I didn’t dress as warm as I should have. I took the boat toward the warmer water until I was in 74 degree water. There were several boats in this same area. A couple of them already had a good stringer of cat fish. I tried to cast for some shad and after a lot of casts, got one shad about 6’’ long. This got my poles in the water. I fished for 3 hours and only got one 4 lb catfish. The one shad I had lasted me. That was the only bite I got. My neighbors were catching several fish. I guess I wasn’t holding my mouth right. I saw some guys trying to catch bass, with no hits. I enjoyed the day and the boat performed perfect.

2. mrbscott19

mrbscott19 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was fishing under the 54 bridge on Sunday from about 6pm to 10:30pm. One bite is all I got and never resulted in a hookup. I caught maybe 15 shad after throwing for about 30 mins straight. I'm going back later in the week. I'll follow up then.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Welcome Aboard Branden, that is a good spot to fish, all them bridges have been very good, we caught the 48 bridge on evening during hi water, was a good current flowing under it and man you could not run 2 rods the were slammin the shad so fast, no monsters but between 4 of us that one night we had to have caught over 100 channel in 3 hours, it was an unbelievable night to say the least, you ever get on it in high water go for it, we would toss the shad out to the pillar and let the current drift it back around to the shelf area if it made it to the bottom it wasn't there long. Will never forget that night.......big shad 5/0 hook and no lead, just letting it drift in the current...

4. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fished a tournament on Clinton on the 10th. Bait (shad) was hard to find but the catfish were really biting. We caught many fish with the biggest being 10.5 pounds. :big_smile: However, the fish were biting very light and seemed to go through different moods during the day. You would catch two or three and then go an hour or more and then catch a few more. It was a little strange for Clinton.

Also, if your not catching fish by anchoring, you could start drifting. It takes a little while to get used to but really can produce fish on Clinton and other lakes as well.

5. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wecome to the BOC Brandon. I've fished that area (under the 48 bridge) before and had good luck. I think the weather is such now that I'll be trying to catch fish almost every week.:big_smile: