Clinton IL. Lake outing turns tragic.

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Doyle, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    High wind, rain and poor visibility caused boat to sweep over spill way at Clinton Il. lake. Authorities have found the 59 year old father, and the 29 year old son. The 8 year old grandson is still missing. The boat new to the family developed motor problems. The 29 year old was on leave from the navy. They called in that they were out of gas. The boat was found at the base of the spillway.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    This is indeed tragic. If they went out with a forecast like that it makes it even more unnecessary. To run out of gas is sad. You gotta use your head when goin on the water. It will kill you!

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this lake is my home ground. there is nothing from stopping boats from going over the bowl. and its a long way down. this is the 2nd accident with fatitalities in 3 years. 05 a drunk boater was driving after dark and ran over a pontoon kiling an 80 some year old man from farmer city. that caused a no wake rule on the entire 5000 acre lake now after sunset.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Doyle thanks for posting an update. The news is tragic. My thoughts and prayers goes out to the families.:sad2: :sad2:

5. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Very sad god bless to their loved ones. Gives you a wakeup call as to how things can change so quickly.:sad2: :sad2:

6. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    I feel so bad for the family. We should all be in prayer for them...:sad2:

7. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    we will keep them in our prayers

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well it sounds like they have located the boy with under water cams. they just wernt able to recover him yet due to weather. we had some more storms today and expecting more through the weekend.

they said on the news yesterday they estimated 200 miles of fishing line under the spillway. there are concrete pillers under the water and one can immagine with the line its like a spider web. so this makes it very dangerous for the divers as well. like a web with hooks.

i work with a guy that was pouring concrete when the dam was built and he said there is still gang (tool) boxes and forms that were in there when it flooded and they were left. so there is a lot of debris. now we can only pray for a quick recovery so the fam can bury thier little boy. its already been a week.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    oh man, thats horriffic. It just goes to show how quick a situation can get out of your control. I'll be praying for the family. I believe they need it. That is so sad. Thank you for the update.