Clinch knot slippage

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by oahegw, Nov 14, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    As I've stated before, I've always used an improved clinch knot for tieing on my hooks and lures. Then this fall I lost a large salmon when I put on the pressure to turn him away from a bridge piling. PING.... and goodbye nice salmon and a long Bomber A plug. The knot had slipped on a 20lb. test Power Pro line. The curly tell-tale end showed the memory of the knot. Later I read my small PP instruction manuel and they advise NOT using clinch knots due to slippage.

My question is: Have any of ya'all had slippage on your clinch knots ??

What say you ??

2. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    If you go with Trilene knots you won't have to worry about that happening.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've been using P-Pro for years. With 50# and above I've never had one clinch knot slip. I think a key to all my knot tying is that I pull it super tight with pliers and leather gloves. If it isn't completely pulled tight from the swivel, main line, and tag ends then it is possible for them to slip. Just pulling the mainline wont cut it, especially with the 20#.

I even tie my mono like this.

PS>>>Also try looping the mainline through 2 times instead of once, then do the knot like normal from there ; )

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  4. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Wetting the line at the knot (usually with saliva) is a key step before cinching down any knot with any type of line. This cuts down on friction when cinching the knot tight. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten down the tag end of the knot. :wink:

Ray

5. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have had some slip but did not lube it first but after reading the articles on here i have changed to palomar easier to tie and suspose to be the strongest there is. but to each his own!

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I use the Trilene knot most of the time & Palomar second. The Trilene is my favorite, never had a problem at all with it.

7. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    I've been using the Trilene for over 35 years and never had any problems. I always wet the knot before tightening it down and leave about 1/4 inch or more tag.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Exactly how I do it also. Its also a very easy knot to tie and takes very little time. I'd recommend it over any other knot. JMO!:wink:

9. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Most braided line you will get slippage with the clinch knot or improved clinch knot. Even flurocarbon will slip when using these knots. Use the Polomar knot as that is recommended by most braided lines. Don't cut the tag end to the knot, but leave a little bit of a tag.

10. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    tie a knot in your tag. use a pair of pliers to tighting everything up.:wink:

11. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    well if your using braid that the problem...i like th palomar knot for all lines it is superior for all line i think!!

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    All the power pro I have used (30 pound) slips the cinch knot about 60 % of the time . I started using the palomar knot and now use it on all lines

13. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    Power Pros Website list knots they feel you should use with their product-

http://powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/powerpro/about/using_powerpro/knots.html

On this web page they have the following recommended modifications to these knots-

• Pass your line through the eye of your tackle twice, if possible.

• Double your line before tying, if your tackle allows, to create a large knot.

Even on the Palomar (see their diagram) they recommend you pass the line through twice.