Climbing Rapids

Discussion in 'Boating' started by tehrealmccoy, Feb 24, 2009.

1. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Hello brothers,

I've been boating for a couple years now personally. The river I fish is generally very shallow in the areas that I go 3-5 feet deep most of the time going as shallow as half a foot. This means there are lots of rapids, not white water but just waves where it gets very shallow that is near impossible for the boat to get over. It's not that the motor isn't powerful enough to fight the current, it's the rocks it keeps bouncing off of. If I can pass a few rapids I can reach the honey land of catfishing (sections of river that haven't been fished in half a decade or more) I was just wondering if there was any advice out there on handling rapids? Will I have to portage or does anyone have any advice that may help?

Thanks all!
    Brian

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    What kind of boat/motor do you have??? Sounds like you need a jet boat...:wink:

3. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    I have an older 14 foot v bottom alumacraft, not sure what gauge aluminum it is but it's thicker than standard and can take a beating. I have an 1958 Gale Bucanneer 5HP outboard built like a tank (we've bounced it off a few rocks in it's time and it keeps on fighting back)

I want a mud motor, but $1,000+ for one is a little bit out of my price range.

4. dusty1529

dusty1529 New Member

State:
    Winamac, IN.
    I fish a river just like that and have found that a good trolling motor is the best way. I have a foot controlled minkota with fifty lb thrust its not the fastest way but it is better than beating your gas motor up. The only other way is to get wet!

5. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    i believe Mike81 has the answer for ya. wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't pick up a little jet motor reasonably, if you can swing it.

6. shadgutter

shadgutter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    get a jet boat

7. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Hi all thanks for the responses. Where might I go about finding a jet outboard on the internet

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Might try looking on craigs list, eBay, your local boat dealer. We have a magazine locally called the "boat trader" that has some good items posted in it.

But like anything make sure you check it out good before buying used or from a friend of a friend type thing.

9. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    What I really want is a mud motor, does anyone know where I can get used ones for cheap? They all seem to be in the $1,000+ range which is pretty steep for me