climbing or hang-on treestands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by irishangler, Sep 12, 2008.

1. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm in VA and bow season is almost here (Oct.4). I've been busy getting everything ready. I bought a new Summit climber and hope to try it out this weekend. This is my first climbing stand and I'm looking forward to seeing how much easier it may be to get up and down from different trees at different locations. I've got several hang-on stands but use them only on private land. I've had a couple stolen from public land despite trying to hide them and taking the climbing sticks with me. That's a shame. What's your impression with climbers? Anything I need to worry about? Thanks.

Mike

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    They require a "perfect" tree...pretty hard to come by around here. I would imagine pine country would be more climber friendly.

I gave mine to a buddy...too spooky for me.

I'm not too old to climb a tree, just too old to fall out of one.

3. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Don't try to climb hard barked trees, I climbed a shag bark hickory once, got up about 10 feet and slid right back down. Your also going to need a good hand saw bucause the tree your going to want to setup in always has a bunch of branches,lol. One more thing is don't get fully dressed while walking in and climbing because your going to work up a sweat.

4. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Summit viper climber is a real good stand I hunt southern arkansas
    90ft pines no limbs for 70 ft. Safe quiet and light

5. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ALWAYS tie the top and bottom together!!!!!!!!! Ive had the bottom fall out on me and was sitting 20 feet up with no way to get down. Use your safety harness.
    I love mine now that im used to it. Keep with it. Its a good tool to add to your box of tricks......olj

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Don't depend on cheap safety belts. Invest in a good safety harness. I use
    a seat-of-the-pants and put it around the tree when I get in the stand and
    start my climb just slide it up the tree keeping it above your top platform.
    I never remove my harness from the tree until I get back to the bottom of
    the tree. I have heard people say there is no way I can fall out of my stand
    I feel safe with out a safety. More people are killed or injured in tree stand accidents than shooting accidents. A harness is as much for stand failure
    (broken welds, broken cables, medal failure, broken pins,ect) than it is for
    just falling out of the tree. I never used a harness until about ten years ago
    when my sons started to hunt out of tree stands and I made them use one.
    If you have children you know that don't do as I do you do as I say, don't
    get it so I had to lead by example and use a harness myself. I soon realized
    what a fool I had been all those years and also very lucky. Theres an old
    saying there are three types of hunters that hunt out of tree stands. Those
    that have fell, those that have almost fell, and those that will fall in the future.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Get and USE a good fall restraint system. Also there is a point on all trees where the platform gets level and beyond that it starts to angle downward. Stop climbing when it's level or ya mite get a free ride to the ground. Also, always keep pressure on the platform, even if it is tied. Practice a few times and you'll be funnin up trees like a cat squirrel.:wink:

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    All good advice! I use a Grand Slam and love it. As an extra precaution, I take my haul rope (never climb with your weapon) with is 30' of 5/16 nylon, and tie the stand to the tree once I get it set up. Mine has a hand rail and adjustable seat so I have to remember to change the seat height when bow hunting so my bow limbs clear the hand rail. The saw is great advise. I have a Gerber that I always carry because you will almost always need one to trim limbs.

9. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The only thing that ive noticed is that the climbers that have cables are not as good as ones with chains. I bought one in 2003 that had cables and when the trees get really cold it wouldnt grip on them and i slid about 15 feet down i sold it the next day. My buddy has an API which has chains and it wont slip a bit no matter what the temp is. After i slid down the tree in my climber i was a little nervous about using one again i got in his and I will own one asap. I wish that i wasnt so nervous about it cause he just got a summit climber free, he put it together went up a telephone pole and asked me if i wanted it i said nope cause if i get it im selling it or trading it for a API which i think is what he decided to do.

10. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Irishangler what part of virginia do you hunt? I patrol the shenandoah valley. I lock my tree stands to the tree haven't lost any that way. Don't use my summit climber anymore now i use api ole man series they seem to grip the tree better don't have the slide downs anymore. Careful going up white oaks and shagbarks, just be care full with any oak sometimes the bark is so hard you can't get a bite.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Personally I don't like the lock on stands and prefer to use my climbers or my ladder stands. No matter what you use always think safety first, especially if you hunt alone and won't have a buddy coming to look for you if you don't show at a certain time. We even try to use our 2 way radios when possible, in case one of us needs help.

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    When using a tree stand, your first concern of interest should be, SAFETY FIRST!! No matter what style of stand your using, always use a safety harness. Make sure to use a pull rope to pull up the bow,gun and supplies safely to you. As far as stands are concerned, I've used both climbers and portable stands. Here in Nebraska, finding a straight tree is like looking for a needle in a haystack.LOL! I use the climber in IOWA for bowhunting and the portables in Nebraska. ALWAYS USE A LIVE TREE! Never hang a stand in a dead tree!! Always make sure the stand is secure and never cut corners. I always take my stands down after the season and check them thoroughly for any breaks in the welds or loose parts.

I like the LONE WOLF portables. They are easy to install and are light weight. They are very sturdy and offer the bowhunter comfort for those long sits on the stand. My second choice is the API stands. They are great to and have a good shooting platform. They are easy to install too, with the T-BOLT SYSTEM.

For climbers, I only own 1 and that is the TREE LOUNGE stand. I like the comfort and ease on installation of this stand. The only setback is they are quite bulky and on the heavy side. They have an angle adjustment to level the platform. They are on the noisy side too, which is a setback also, but after letting things calm down, it's a great stand to hunt from.

BE SAFE OUT THERE THIS FALL!!
    Mark..

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've used both. I like the comfort of a good climber but lock ons with screw in steps are the best route because of noise.

I had the oppertunity to do some testing come along a few years ago after a hurricane took down a blackjack oak I had a lockon in.
    This stand produced many a deer and was severely drown into the tree as were the steps. Rarely did you not have an oppertunity to take a deer from it.

I threw a climber up on the next tree over and hunted it a handful of times without seeing a thing.
    Took it out of the tree and put up a lockon with screw on steps. Immediately I started seeing deer again.
    I keep two paths into any stand depending on wind. Keep the sticks and twigs cleared out so I can ease in taking my time. With a lockon I can quitely continue the easing in by easing up into the tree.

I'm fortunate that I have alot of land I can leave my stands unbothered.
    They stay in year round year after year. The only thing I replace is the safety chain or strap.

Fall protection. A full body harness will break the fall but they are also a killer.
    Many a man has suffocated hanging in a full body harness.
    Let someone know where you are and preferably have a cell phone or radio to communicate with someone.
    Safety harnesses aren't made to hang in. Even the industrial type however modifications are starting to be made by some manufacturers in this regard. The constriction on the chest and extremities from the body weight will slowly suffocate the wearer.
    Provide yourself with an alternate means of rescueing yourself such as an additonal knotted rope of adequate size that will hang below your stand.
    Atleast you could get to that rope and take some weight off the harness.

A better alternative to a lanyard would be a yoyo. A retractable lanyard.
    They will actually catch you preventing a fall. They work like a seatbelt. You can pay them out slowly but if you jerk suddenly like in the act of a fall they lock. It's an expensive option though. A couple hundred dollar investment.

Also in dealing with lanyards particularly the shock absorbing lanyards.
    If you got a 6 foot lanyard it will become about an 18 foot lanyard when it's over. So hunt high or smack the ground anyway.
    If I used a lanyard it would definately be shock absorbing.
    I've had to sit through many safety classes on fall protection.
    We're talking body weight and sudden stops. It equals over a ton of force on the body. The suckers will hurt you bad but the alternative may or may not hurt worse.:smile2:
    With a shock absorbing lanyard it's a built in braking system that will reduce that force but still leave you with an unpleasant experience.

Above all check your harness and lanyards before every use for frays, loose threads etc. and adhere to the weight ratings. 300 pound fat guy in a 250 pound rated harness is no go.
    Definately when it comes to harnesses spend the money for professional fall protection like used in the construction industry. Adjust its fit according the manufacturers recomendations. Too loose and it'll take your head off .
    Attch the lanyard above your head always. You dont want to pass the lanyard in a fall. The perfect gallows.

Not only use fall protection. Know how to use it. It can be as deadly as a fall without it used improperly.

14. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i like climbers alot more. i had a tree lounger that was the safest and most comfortable stand i've ever hunted out of. it got stolen 2 years ago. i have 3 that i use, 2 are not that comfy but they are light.
    chip

15. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have a Summit climber myself that I use very often. Hang-ons are great to put up in a couple of spot that you plan to hunt sometimes, but climbers are great because if you want to try a new area and you don't want to spend the time putting your hang-on up, just use your climber if there are trees that you will be able to climb. Summit has great customer service (I have learned from experience). In my opinion, you have to have both climbers and hang-ons. Good luck!