Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Clicking noise in a Penn 209

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Ictalurus Punctatus 
#1 ·
I just got 3 Penn 209's and as I have been oiling them I noticed that 2 of them making a clicking noise when I crank (even with baitclicker turned off) and 1 does not make any noise. Should they all be quiet or should they all click?

Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi BajaCoop,

I have a 209, 109, jigmaster, and Long Beach 60. Mine and many of the Penns I have tried make a quiet tick-tick-tick... sound when the clicker is off. What I have found is if I grease them up too much after a cleaning the ticking sound goes a way until the grease has been more evenly distributed. I got the Jigmaster from Ebay, it was quite dirty and did not make the ticking sound until I took it a part and cleaned it.

Hope this helped,
P. nasuta

#4 ·
Ed I have a 209 I bought in 1972 and fished with all them years heck I even lived on a sailboat in Fla. Bay for part of 1986 and all of 87(cought a 4ft black tip shark the frist time I fished saltwater with it) and I never cleaned it till on up in the 1990s and it had never made a clicking noise.I would say you need it take it apart and give it a good cleaning.

#5 ·
The 209 anti reverse dog is what is making that click sound. Depending on how clean the dog is will determine the loudness, but it should make some sound. The dog is pressed by the dog spring into the notched gear sleeve. I have found that a)if this dog and spring have been greased, the clicking is reduced/ less noticeable and b)if it's clean and oiled, the clicking is a little louder. The negative about greasing this part too much is the grease can get into the dog spring and eventually prevent the spring from doing its job. I've gotten many older 209's with "the anti reverse" not working, when all it was was old grease turned to glue in the dog/ dog spring. When I clean mine and reassemble, i will put a little grease on the teeth of the gear sleeve, but only oil the dog and dog spring. I don't mind the clicking, as it let's me know the dogs doing it's thing.

#6 ·
The anti-reverse quietly but merrily clicks along in my 2 year old 345 GTI.I would not worry as long as the Anti-reverse works.That said,you have a remote chance of any click being a tooth in the gear train.This is always a possibility with anything with gears.All reels are better for a little proper care,such as cleaning and lubing every now and then.Your fishing conditions will determine how often.Surf fishing with the immersion in salt water along with fine blown beach sand are some of the worst conditions.Unless you know how they were used,assume the worst and hope for the best.I treat all unknown reels like they have been stored in a bucket of sand and salt water as some people do put their reels up full of sand and salt with out a thought.Notice that I say proper.If you don;t know what you are doing,you can lose things like the dog spring or get lube in the drag.A tiny bit of some of our modern lubes goes a awful long way.Best of luck.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.