clickers

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, May 4, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok who thinks tight lining at night is better than having your clicker on, seems i will get a run then i pick it up and its gon, but im still using both methads, i think its hard to whach your polls all night, so i dont know, i lost a good fish last night becose of a cliker but all my bigger ones were caght on a cliker, so i dont know yet, so i use both, usaly tightline my glow rod, set my clikers on my other two, i cant stare at my rod for 8 hours, so i like them

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I keep my lines snugged up,, and my clickers on,, If a fish hits my stuff, I know it,, eventually, after I wake up,, and , they're usually Hooked, I use king Kahles, 7/0-10/0,
    I always try and play them like they're not hooked, and always set it, but, if it never gets the hook inside the mouth, that's when I think I lose them,, from the evidence I've seen on the bait,,
    I just use the clicker for an alarm,, cause, I do dose off..
    Biggest thing for me is to stay relaxed and calm, and make sure the fish has decided the bait is OK, and takes it all the way..Then, that's when I turn the clicker off, and ,
    and get them in..
    Sometimes, rarely, I'll hold a rig, and wait till a bite occurs, then, I don't need the clicker, but, seems like I'm always doing something and setting the rig down, so, I like the clickers on,,
    If I'm trying to float a bait into structure, then I don't use clickers. Or otherwise handling the rod, I don't use the clickers..

But, Mostly, I really depend on them, :wink:

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    some people loosen the drag and turn the clicker on for a wake up call wen the fish hooks himself, and the rod bends the cliker clicks but you realy got to know exactly how to set your drad wen using that methed, any advice on that way, its like tightlining with a ckier on at the same time, anybody do this to me this would be ideal if done right

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    That's how I used Spin cast reels, close the bail, lighten the drag, the Daiwa I used would really scream,, then I'd pick it up and tighten the drag as I was fighting the fish,, It worked pretty good.
    But, I switched to Baitcasters, with the Bait clicker, leave the spool in neutral, till the clicker goes off, then determine what's going on with the fish, and, I'll either thumb the spool and set the hook, or engage the spool and set the hook, and try and remember to turn off the clicker..doesn't hurt it, but, I don't like the noise..at that time.
    If current is swift, or bait large and frisky, I'll have the spool engaged, and lighten the drag so , It won't be giving me "false alarms", then set the drag after I have a fish on,,
    But, I like the fish to be able to "take" line, with as little resistance as possible..
    when, I'm just having the rig "set". like on the bank or in a rod holder on a boat..

5. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use Abu 7000's and a couple of 9000's and I use the clickers on all of them. I leave my drag set to where I want it at hookset. I use the clicker and spool break to hold the bait in place and keep my line tight. I do these two things as fast as I can when my clicker sounds off: When the clicker goes off, I get to my rod and flip the clicker off ASAP and loosen my spool break so the fish can feel no resistance. Now, I relax. At this point I slowly get my rod out of the holder and just watch the line get pulled off the reel. In my experience, fishing in the lake I fish at, if it is slow and steady, its probably a flathead and a big one. This is when my heart gets to racing. I let him run atleast 15 seconds from the time I pick the rod up, sometimes a little longer. When I've gather my thoughts and feel I'm ready, I engage the reel, let the line get snug, then cross his eyes. The fight is on, and its time to wake the wife so she can get the net.

This method has worked very well for me. I just get the clicker off and spool loosened a bit ASAP and then try to relax and concentrate on what needs to take place to get a good hookset. It may be 45 seconds from the time I hear the clicker to hookset. The main thing is remain calm, quiet, and smooth in your actions up till the point of hoodset.

Another thing, from the time the clicker sounds till hookset, I use absolutely no light, but a small red cap light and I don't turn it on until I've got the rod in hand and he has run out a ways. When the clicker sounds, no white light, remain calm quiet and smooth...did I say that already?:big_smile:

Maybe you will find some of this info useful.

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey David,
    That sounds like a very good description of nice technique..
    Only,, as long as you're calm, quiet, and smooth...and,, releaxed, and,,,, calm,,:smile2:

7. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I should point out, the above method is used with a carolina rig, fishing on bottom.

8. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes, atleast I try to remain that way on the outside. On the inside, my heart get to racin like a train once I get the rod in hand and ready to set the hook.:smile2: That even happens when I know its a channel just ripping off line like he just stole a new flat screen. Thats the beauty coupled with the suspense of fishing with big live bait - you never now how big the fish is going to be until you set the hook. They have to be big enough to swallow a bluegill and that is exciting no matter if its a flathead or a big channel.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN, WEN THEM CLIKERS SCREAM U CANT TELL IF ITS A FLAT OR A CHANNEL, SOME SAY THAT A CHANNEL WILL RUN ALOT FASTER, BUT SEE ALL THEM IN MY AVATAR, THEY WERE JUST AS FAST AS AN 8POUND CHANNEL, U DONT KNOW UNTIL U SET THE HOOK,