Clickers with circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by slikk03, Aug 6, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was wondering if using a cliker while having a cical hook would lessen the affect of the hook i was told not to let them run with it , is this true or false

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The rod needs to "load up" to set a circle hook.

You can still let the fish 'run' with a clicker, then engage the reel, then let the rod load up, then catch your fish.

Why give the fish a free run and a chance to drop the bait. Hook them the first time. More chances for something to go wrong if you don't get that hook set.:eek:oooh:

3. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    When using circle hooks I engage the reel with the drag set a little lighter so the rod will load up before the line starts off the reel. I also engage the clickers if I'm night fishing so I don't have to use a light very much to look at my rods.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I pretty much use circles exclusively. I let em run and then load the rod with a gentle sweep up of the rod while engagein the reel. After I feel the hook set I give it a good tug and its off to the races. I luv the sound of a bait clicker. Then agai I am a sadist. LOL!

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I do the same as George, caught over a hundred flatheads letting them run then engaging the reel. FISH ON!!!

6. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I do the same thing. I have to set the clicker so it wakes me up because sometimes if the bite is slow I tend to fall asleep when I am by myself.

7. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Been There.. I also do the same!!

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Millions of circle hooks are baited on long lines world wide every day and they fish themselves without doing any of the things that we feel necessary to get them to work.Are we are interfering with them working when we cannot get them to work?I have never used them sport fishing.I used J's and Kahles.Seems as if people have to be the problem when and if there is one.They were made to leave alone and hook the fish right by their self.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If I'm going to be awake, I leave my drag set normal and don't touch a rod until about the 3rd good pull or until it goes down and stays down. If it's getting that time of early morning when I know I'm going to crash, I back my drag off and set the clicker. I leave enough drag on the reel to set the circle but loose enough that a good fish will run the clicker. No better way to wake up than to the sound of a reel losing drag. That's why I love circles, at that point I just grab the rod and start reeling.

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I wouldn't use a clicker with a circle hook. I've learned that the hard way. Missed a bunch of fish using a clicker and a circle hook. I switched over to 9/0 Octopus hooks on my clicker equiped reels and still use 6/0 to 8/0 circles on my non-clicker rods.

11. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    You can use the clicker or not...I personally use the clicker for the simple reason that my rod holder is the type that you lean the rod against it and I don't want to hook into a "bigun" and it flip my rod in the drink.....Plus, I night fish mostly unless I got kids with me....Dwight

12. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I like to use the clickers, it seems that its always the rod I'm not looking at that gets the bite. :confused2:

13. worm

worm New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use only circle hooks and clickers. As far as the drag goes it all depends on the current and what kind of rig Iam using. A 3way in the rocks I back the drag all the way off because the weight will usually hang in the rocks setting the hook for me.(i use lighter test on weight. Using a sliding ring I still back the drag all the way off. When the clicker sounds like a full auto thompson. I just jam my thum in the old 7000 and hang on.

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Trust PeeWee's answer, its the right one. Doesn't matter whether you use the clicker or not, the hook gets the fish, not the set we like to do.

15. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use clickers at night and leave the drag tight enough to load the rod but loose enough when the hooks set he can run. If my alarm clock sound like that I would jump out of bed, even on the mornings I had to work.
    :smile2:

16. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    In my opinion, circle hooks and clickers were made for each other. Like some have said, the rod that usually gets the bite is the one I'm not looking at. My techinque is very simple. Bait, cast, place rod in holder, set clicker. When the clicker is screaming, ENGAUGE THE REEL, then pick it up out of the rod holder. Nothing further is needed. The fish is hooked and I never set the hook or do anything to help the circle hook do it's job. I absolutely love using the circle hooks and clickers.:big_smile:

17. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Is the sound of the clicker gone wild one of the sweetest there is or what. There are a couple other sounds gone wild that are also sweet but thats whole nother web site lol lol lol!!!!

18. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    there is nothing like dosing off then clicker goes crazy and scares ya half to death.

19. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

i always(almost always) use clickers, then i add a cow bell to each rod also, this added noise will ring a somewhat rythic ringing as the bait moves in the current, as soon as a fish starts messing with the bait you often will hear the bumps(in the bells) before even hooking up. when we are bank fishing we spread out and occasionaly use ellectronic bite allarms, on rare extream occasions the bite allarms can be replaced with remote control indicators. i would say at 200-400ft the regular electronic bite alarms are enough. unless you lose line of site then the remotes are usefull.oh if you are unfamilar with this technology it is modified use from carp fishing and run roughly in the $100-$300 range. used equipment is plentyfull but i would become familar with each product before buying in. as to clickers i set the drag low and leave the clicker on. the exception being is on very rare occasion i have been known to covertly sneek into a spot(for varrious reasons) and fish it stealth style. no lights, no bells and no noise. what can i say, i would admit that a fishing contest i might not draw attention to my spot or techninique, but some streaches may be offlimit, or may have special interest groups that are using the river streach for possible illegal activities thus makking it safer to fish in the stealth.the river is law west and the last frontier!